‘Tis the season for cinnamon, sugar, snow, and all things warm and fuzzy. ‘Tis also the season for finding new ways to save money and protect your wallet, and Bwog is here to help!
2020 has been stressful, to say the least, and we all deserve a bit of joy and festivity–no matter what holiday you’re celebrating (if any). That being said, buying candles, decorations, baked goods, presents, and more can get really expensive really quickly, so I’m here with some ideas for winter festivity on a budget!
- Paper snowflakes! Reconnect with your inner child and create decorations with just paper and scissors by folding the paper and cutting in any pattern you like!
- Buy candles in bulk! Scented candles are a quick and easy way to get in the holiday spirit (if you’re not living in a dorm), and they don’t have to break your budget if you find the right ones. Drug stores such as CVS and Duane Reade sell inexpensive scented candles, and many craft stores allow you to buy variety packs of scented candles in bulk, reducing the overall price for each candle.
- Slice ‘n’ bake cookies! Ingredients to make cookies from scratch can add up pretty quickly; Instead, look for pre-made holiday-themed cookie dough to get the homemade cookie smell and feeling without the lofty price, leftover ingredients, and mess in your kitchen.
- Playlists! There’s nothing like holiday music to get you in that festive mood, and pre-made playlists are easy to find on Youtube, Spotify, Apple Music, or anywhere else you listen to music.
- Hot drinks! Simmer cider, cinnamon sticks, and clove together on the stove for warm spiced apple cider or make mulled wine with cheap wine and ingredients you can find at any grocery store. Enjoy the aroma as you pour your festive drink into your favorite holiday mug.
- Movies! Holiday movies are abundant, especially this time of year, and can be found on most streaming services. Borrow a friend’s Netflix password or find ~creative~ ways to stream your favorite holiday movies for free.
- The dollar store is your holiday best friend! From decorations to snacks, never underestimate the magical deals the dollar store can offer!
- Made a DIY “fireplace” for that extra level of festivity when you really want to impress your friends with your crafting superiority. Use brown tape or paper to create fake bricks, buy mini stockings and string lights from the dollar store, and use red and yellow cellophane for fake flames!
Comment your favorite inexpensive holiday hacks!
Holiday photo via Pxfuel