Despite its location in the middle of the 600s, 616 should not be overlooked. Its roomy doubles and remarkable views might make it the perfect dorm for you.
Location: 616 West 116th Street
- Nearby Dorms: 600, 620, the Quad
- Nearby Stores and Restaurants: Morton Williams, Shake Shack, Pret A Manger, Sweetgreen, Ivy League Stationers (fun masks! cardboard celebrity cutouts!)
Cost: $5,052 per semester
- Bathrooms: Each suite has a private bathroom.
- AC/Heating: No A/C. Radiators in bedrooms, kitchen, and bathroom that sometimes do their job a little too well (you may want a fan, even in January!)
- Kitchen/Lounge: Each suite has its own kitchen. 5B and 6B also have private common spaces in the suite. TV lounge (with piano) and computer lab on the first floor.
- Laundry: Free laundry in the basement (six washers and eight dryers).
- Computers/Printers: Printers and computers in the computer lab.
- Gym: Nope.
- Intra-transportation: Two elevators and a set of stairs. Elevators are relatively fast but expect a tight squeeze.
- Hardwood/Carpet: Linoleum.
- WiFi: Strong enough to handle four simultaneous Zoom classes.
- 5-person and 6-person suites
- Roughly even mix of singles and doubles
- Overall a pretty solid suite, but if A/C or abundant singles are what you’re looking for, this may not be the place for you.
- The printer in the building is very helpful (currently closed for COVID though).
- Suites are spacious, but the kitchen size is hit or miss.
- “The biggest downside of living in 616 (and I think a lot of dorms) is that there’s only so many machines in the laundry room and everyone ends up doing laundry at the same exact time. So, when everyone goes to do their laundry, there are never any open machines and people send passive-aggressive messages in our building WhatsApp. It just means you need to plan your laundry day really well. And LaundryView is incredible!”
- “The doubles in 616 are huge. I’m living in one by myself right now and I don’t even know what to do with all the space! Sharing that room wouldn’t be the worst thing…”
- “Super close to everything! There’s a crosswalk to the back of Barnard right outside the front door.”
Building photo via Barnard Housing
Suite photos via my incredible and talented suitemate