If you like them, I’m sorry, but you’re in a cult.

Happening in the World: Squishmallows claims that Build-a-Bear copied their design in a new toy, starting an intellectual property lawsuit. Build-a-Bear claims that the new Skoosherz toy is just a different type of a toy they already sold, but Squishmallows pointed out that Skoosherz copied the velvet-like fabric, ‘Kawaii’ style face, and shape of their toys. (BBC)

Happening in the US: The Senate passes a $95 billion aid package for Ukraine and Israel. The bill will be voted on in the House next, where Speaker Mike Johnson is opposed to it, criticizing its lack of border provisions. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky praised the work of the Senate, saying that American assistance works to bring them closer to winning against Russia and restoring peace. (CNN)

Happening in NYC: Eric Adams announces a new curriculum intended to improve literacy in early education while cutting the budget by $170 million. In New York City, only half of elementary and middle school students reach proficient levels of literacy, so many teachers and administrators are concerned that the budget cuts will negatively impact learning outcomes. The new program, called the Creative Curriculum, emphasizes the science of reading by focusing on phonics, vocabulary, and comprehension. 90% of elementary schools are using the curriculum already, with the remaining 10% required to implement it by next year. (Gothamist)

Happening in Our Community: Today the Harriman Institute is hosting a lecture by Maksym Romaniko and moderated by Mark Andryczyk. The lecture will discuss the Mariupol Drama Theater bombing in the war between Russia and Ukraine, exploring the relationship between architecture and memory. The event will take place in the International Affairs Building Marshall D. Schulman Seminar Room from 4:15 to 5:45 pm. You can reserve your seat here.

Header via Printerval