Is that an alcohol-dispensing Rube Goldberg machine??

terrenceOh those chemists! Oh those grad students who aspire to be chemists!

Stephanie Quan writes in with an account of the chem department’s winter show, a Varsity Show-type extravaganza featuring off-key musical tributes to favorite professors sung by second-year grad students with department secretaries on keyboard.

But in the esteemed words of R. Kelly, “after the party show, it’s the after party.” Stephanie says the fun really started with five hours of chemically induced revelry in the lounge. The ethanol flowed from twelve standard kegs and a massive punch dispenser, photographed here next to Stephanie’s friend Terrence.

Just remember guys, “don’t drink and derive.”

• asdf says:

@asdf actually it’s jay-z who says the line.

1. DHI says:

@DHI True for Fiesta (Remix), but in Ignition (Remix) R. Kelly says (sings) it himself.

1. asdf says:

@asdf ah. well played, sir.

• Megan! says:

@Megan! Is that your brother?!

• DHI says:

@DHI The R. Kelly quote is a common misconception. He actually says “After the show it’s the after party, and after the party it’s the hotel lobby”

• Sprinkles says:

@Sprinkles lol ethanol

• WHAT says:

@WHAT they were drinking ethanol?!?!?!

• watch out says:

@watch out terrence, too much of that shit and you could lose your phi beta kappa-worthy gpa…