“The New Facebook”…for Gloves

We at Bwog are always on the lookout for useful websites. Bwog daily editor Eliza Shapiro brings us the backstory on GlovesIFound.com.

On one chilly day in early December, Brian Donahoe, CC ’12, was walking from John Jay to Hamilton when he happened upon a glove on the ground. He contemplated it for a moment, and decided not to pick it up, but then he got to thinking. “I thought about how it would never be reunited with its other half and I thought…I can make this better,” Donahoe tells Bwog triumphantly. Donahoe launched GlovesIFound shortly after with one simple goal: to reunite gloves found around Columbia’s campus and the greater metropolitan area with their owners.

Since December, Donahoe and a motley crew of uber-observant freshmen have snatched up abandoned gloves all over the place. They then post a picture of the glove and where it was found. This same group has also plastered the John Jay lobby with homemade posters. One depicts a drunk glove, a stoned glove, and two gloves having sex, reading: “its 11:47, do you know where your gloves are?” Another promotes the site as “the new Facebook.” So keep your eyes peeled for gloves, Bwog readers, Donahoe tells us they’re everywhere “if you just look for them.” Oh, the possibilities!

• pish says:

@pish go be original. this has already been done.

1. Robot says:

@Robot Grow a heart. This is lovely and adorable. Warms my soul as a glove warms a hand.

2. one says:

@one coldhand.com

• aww says:

@aww how cute!

• Busy Hands says:

@Busy Hands Anyone know where I can find myself a new pair of Grippies?

• oh man says:

@oh man I totally thought I found my lost glove through that website. But it was the same hand as the one I still have :(

• Alternatively, says:

@Alternatively, Find lost gloves that match on the site and bam, you have a “new” (actually used and trampled) pair of gloves.

• chi-town says:

@chi-town eliza shapiro, i want you in me

@Anonymous maybe they should mind their own business and have the decency to allow a person to retrace his or her steps before snatching up a glove. ten bucks says these assholes have caused someone who was looking for a glove to never find it, because they insisted that the world would be a better place if they made this retarded website.

1. hah says:

@hah the anger in this post amuses me.

2. [Insert] says:

@[Insert] [bitchery here.]

3. Well says:

@Well stfu barnard

@Anonymous ummmm no. you stfu. you are insecure. oh and you have a small penis

• Lefty says:

@Lefty So funny – just found gloves in Spanish Pupin 110-225 section today. I didnt grab them for the Pupin lost & found cuz I figured their owner would come back for them. Is there a “hold for ransom” feature on GlovesIfound.com? muneez!

• that's annoying says:

@that's annoying what self-indulgent douchebag has that much time on his hands? people usually go back and trace their steps when they realize they have lost a glove. instead, these twits are stealing them.

1. I don't really like you says:

@I don't really like you Grow a heart you cold, lifeless douchebag. Its just a fun site and a cool project. Go pick on someone who deserves it.

Ps. You’re a twit

1. A great comment says:

@A great comment I totally agree with that last comment

• ??? says:

@??? I’m pretty sure i heard this somewhere before. Ah yes, it was on NPR Morning Edition from San Francisco. Don’t judge me