As Seen on College Walk

Bwog: Sartorialist! You: campus! Bwog found the most stylin’ students outside Hamilton, next to the 1 train, and on College Walk, and we asked them where we can get their clothes. This week on As Seen as College Walk: the coolest glasses we’ve seen in a while, plus lots of freshmen. Mini-Bill Cunninghams Contessa Gayles and Hannah Goldstein report.

Hannah Kahng, BC ’11

Cool glasses. Where did you get them? They’re Slow and Steady Wins the Race; they sell to stores like Opening Ceremony.

What’s your major? Art History and Visual Arts.

What’s your favorite class that you’ve taken at Columbia? Twentieth Century Art with Brandon Joseph.

What’s your favorite thing about February? It’s the coldest month here in New York.

Where are you going? To buy apples.

Dora Vegvari, CC ’13

Where are you from? Hungary. All my clothes are Hungarian: my bag, my coat, my everything.

What is your intended major? Psychology.

What is your favorite thing to wear in winter? I love scarves.

What has been your most interesting class at Columbia? Women and Gender Politics in the Muslim World.

What are you looking forward to most right now? To go to John Jay and eat!

Gus, CC ‘13

Spotted: Outside of Hamilton Hall

Intended Major: No idea

Hometown: Berkeley, California

On NYC v. California Style: We like color. We’re happier in general and it’s reflected in our clothing. We’re more relaxed and we don’t have to wear all these jackets and shit.

Favorite article of clothing on your body right now?: Captain America jacket, without a doubt.

• ... says:

@... “jackets and shit” …brilliant

1. surfin' UWS says:

@surfin' UWS Urgh. Is it possible for guys to be fashionable in a way that’s not….err, pardon the language but “Really, really, gay”?

I mean just seeing this makes me oh so proud of my hoodies and t-shirts.

This isn’t even color-coordinated or appealing to the eye; it just screams of “NOTICE ME, AREN’T I FABU?”

1. of course says:

@of course Just dress really classy. Like that dude who won that whatchamacallit best-dressed contest.

1. seas kid says:

@seas kid yes, because wearing a belt buckle with your own fucking name on it is real goddamn classy. and rolling you pants into manpris when it’s 30 degrees outside.

@Anonymous hey, whether you like his style or not at least it’s different and he had the balls to be put on bwog. gotta give him respect for that

• Harmony Hunter says:

@Harmony Hunter location?

@Anonymous Sorry about being nit-picky, but Berkeley is misspelled.

• ...... says:

@...... Better work Bwog… only fail was the Hungarian girl… (not saying she doesn’t have a sense of style, just nothing exceptional right here.)

• Fail says:

@Fail My grandma used to go to the grocery store dressed like number one, right down to the shoes. The second one is boring and the last two are just silly.

• Dear Art Major, says:

@Dear Art Major, Joseph is rad.

• nit-picky 2 says:

@nit-picky 2 clearly, the author of this piece is not from the bay area. hyphy

• T-Fi says:

@T-Fi Dora rocks my world

@Anonymous branden (not brandon) joseph

• it's hyphy says:

@it's hyphy not hifey

• This Deaton person... says:

@This Deaton person... looks EXACTLY how I pictured Grindelwald from Harry Potter.

1. a+ hp reference says:

@a+ hp reference hahaha…success.

• all of a sudden says:

@all of a sudden I hate that I go here.

• BOP! says:

@BOP! Woo represent

1. but says:

@but why no love for hop?

(that is, rabbit fur? grosssss.)

• Mmm... says:

@Mmm... Those guys are quite pretty. Dunno how Gus walks around with those jeans rolled up though.

Side note: one of my verification words is “crimsons.” Suspicious.

• Wow says:

@Wow Lots o’ dirty hipsters in this round. Keep them coming?

• seriously? says:

@seriously? None of these people are dressed remotely well.

• Listen says:

@Listen These people all seem nice enough (except for the last one; he just seems like a douche), but none of them is worthy of a “Sartorialist”-type write-up.

I get it if you’re just doing “man on the street” interviews, asking people random questions, but fashion wise, this article and the last one like this have included no notable subjects.

• soooo, says:

@soooo, she said she likes scarves in winter…where is her scarf? and anybody would have to be stupid to roll up their pants in winter

• I think says:

@I think that hipsters have succeeded- they’ve managed to convince everyone that their fashion sense is fashion, rather than just another, pedestrian style.

• Deaton says:

@Deaton is the nicest!

• OMFG says:

@OMFG The first girl’s glasses, coat, and shoes are nice, but the dress looks like she jacked it from a nursing home.

The second isn’t wearing anything remotely different from an average midwesterner trying to stay warm.

The third kid seems nice enough, but he’s wearing a golden girls sweater (winter collection), on top of a camouflage shirt, with hot topic overstock belt and shoes.

By not rolling the jeans up and changing the undershirt, the fourth guy has potential (with right hat of course).

Bwog, that is text book awful fashion sense for the most part. Just because people are dressing different doesn’t mean they’re stylish. You guys need to bring people on who aren’t hipsters

@Anonymous um, can we be best friends?

2. Midwesterner says:

@Midwesterner I assure you, no self-respecting midwesternern man would dream of wearing gay coats like the above with little rabbits and birds (MAYBE strange geriatric women would). That might fly in the Research Triangle, but in the Midwest, Carhartt is king.

• you've gotta be kidding me says:

@you've gotta be kidding me “My aunt gave me the blue fur coat. It’s rabbit fur with birds and bears dyed into it. And her best friend made the bottle cap-studded belt.”

The horror… the horror.

@Anonymous Excuse me? Her style is fashionable, classy, and she’s the only one that actually looks warm…kid with the knee pants must be freezing cailfornia is more relaxed and it shows in our clothes ? please.

@Anonymous ^about the Hungarian

• Hip Pretentious Barnard Kids says:

@Hip Pretentious Barnard Kids Barnard + Art History = Fucking Hipsters. Get em out of har.

@Anonymous why the is this worthy of Bwog? 3 of these people are ugly, or at least dressed poorly. Why is it fashionable to wear a sweater jacket that would even embarrass my grandmother?

everyone should wear suits damnit…

• Lesson: says:

@Lesson: The likelihood of sounding like a self-aggrandizing dick when in print and on the internet are higher than in normal life.

See:

I just didn’t want to go home. It was early.
    I met the Black Eyed Peas. I was dancing at Hudson Terrace on this platform. After, Will.i.am’s manager came over and asked me if I wanted to meet the group. So I hung out at their table.

• Where are all the science majors?? says:

@Where are all the science majors?? Bwog should hunt for the elusive children of the SEAS or the CC science majors. They don’t see the light of day, and it would be interesting to see their fashion diversity. and the pocket protectors, hehe.

1. cc science major says:

@cc science major I was hoping sartorialist was going to stop me today and ask me where I got my columbia sweatshirt and khakis.

@Anonymous AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

• DOWN says:

@DOWN WITH THE HATERS!

• The Black Eyed Peas says:

@The Black Eyed Peas ….are probably bragging to some other blog, somewhere, that they met Deaton and sat at a table with him. AND SAW HIS BOXERS

• Deaton Jones says:

@Deaton Jones does not usually dress that crazy.

@Anonymous Deaton Jones is awesome

@Anonymous lil wayne is so hot he’s keeping that kid’s legs warm

@Anonymous The giant weird jacket brightened my day

• sigh says:

@sigh guys, go to sleep. or in my case, go study.

• wow says:

@wow the first 2 were beyond painfully boring, to look at and to read about. to go by apples in her grandma dress? how quaint. please, just because you interview them doesn’t mean you HAVE to use it.

PLEASE TRY HARDER. this feature could be great, but so far, total yawn.

1. ... says:

@... could be great? it’s a boring idea and a waste of time. who actually cares about this?

1. surfin' UWS says:

@surfin' UWS The 42 posts, including yours at 5:45 am, as opposed to the usual 12-15 range thats considered good traffic here demonstrate that people clearly care.

Douche.

• Californians says:

@Californians are “happier in general”? Including the ones that invented road rage and your awesome string of serial killers?

Grow up, little boy. And go the hell back to California.

@Anonymous Seriously! Over the years, I noticed that most Californians suck. All they talk about is California and how every other state sucks.

@Anonymous I agree that californians are generally happier and more relaxed.. but in a lazy sense. new yorkers are more alert and productive but definitely less happier since we get raped every day by bloomberg and his big corporate/government pals (NY was ranked LAST for happiness level in the country)

• will says:

@will dressing unusually /=/ dressing stylishly

hth

• Haters... says:

@Haters... suck. just sayin’

• loved the column says:

@loved the column This was a great column
    LOOK HOW MANY RESPONSES YOU GOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The photos are great.
    KEEP IT UP
    People love to read about other COlumbia people
    The interview on Deaton was great.!!!

• fashionista says:

@fashionista Deaton is SOOOOOOOO COOOOOLLLLLLLL
    The interview rocks
    I want to get to know him too

• ahhh says:

@ahhh hannah is a dream girl

• haters to the left says:

@haters to the left I love this feature. Everyone looks really good, especially Hannah. And I want to be friends with Deaton.

• yeah says:

@yeah COOOOOP!!!

• Stem says:

@Stem Get it girl!

• dear bwog says:

@dear bwog these sartorialist profiles are awesome! keep up the great work!

1. second says:

@second .

• gus, says:

@gus, i love when peopel go by one name like madonna. however, just to clarify, nyc is way better.

• Pacific Ocean Native says:

@Pacific Ocean Native Gus was definitely the best find in “As Seen on College Walk”. Whichever contributor found him, props. Keep up the good work.

As for California, visit and make up your own mind about it. The economy could sure use some tourist dollars.

• Yay AREA says:

@Yay AREA the bay is in the area the bay is in the area. i just got my flight home to SF for the day after graduation…

@Anonymous how does a girl from Hungary come to columbia? isn’t Hungary like a poor eastern european country? might Dora be some kind of Hungarian royalty?

@Anonymous You’ve obviously never been to budapest. The Buda side is filled with mansions; plus, it isn’t 1985… Eastern Europe is making a comeback in a huge way, especially considering that Hungary is going to get the Euro in the next few years.

On another note, she probably is rich. Since this school is so fucking expensive, most of the euro kids are pretty wealthy.

@Anonymous “All my clothes are Hungarian: my bag, my coat, my everything.”

— And it shows

@Anonymous everyone making fun of #1 is jealoussss. check any magazine/blog (vogue, elle, sartorialist, tavi, etc.), her outfit is creative & quirky & totally “in” (actually, oxfords aren’t “grandma shoes”- they’ve been popular for a while now. STOP HATIN HATAS.

@Anonymous check any magazine/blog (vogue, elle, sartorialist, tavi, etc.), her outfit is creative & quirky & totally “in”

by ‘vogue, elle’ sartorialist, tavi, etc.’ you actually mean http://www.lookbook.nu right? and how can it be ‘creative and quirky’ AND ‘totally in?’ doesn’t ‘inness’ imply a certain conformity to an established idea of what should be worn? #1 is just straight up urban ironic with a big furry coat and huge ill-fitting 80s sunglasses and ‘vintagey’ shoes.

every single one of these posts is just ‘ironic’ whatever the hell that means for clothes, but ironic nonetheless.

@Anonymous not exactly. i think that fur coat+mini floral is a pretty standard 60s sort of thing, not a “ha this coat is so ugly and weird i’m going to wear it” sort of thing.

@Anonymous are you trying to show off that you know what lookbook.nu is?

@Anonymous Hungary a poor Eastern European country? Now I wonder how did you pass the admission to an Ivy League school… your dad probably offered to pay even more than the Hungarian girl did… That being said, she definitely has the least charisma of the four characters. Hannah is hot.

• wth says:

@wth Californians are definitely not lazy and have probably done more intellectually and culturally the last fifty years than any other group of people – computers, internet, entertainment (music, movies, television), cuisine – California es muy importante so stop hating. Have you even visited the fine state?

• fashion at columbia says:

@fashion at columbia This column should be permanent.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    All the reporters did a great job
    Look at the amount of responses they got.
    BWOG hasn’t gotten these many responses in a very very very long time
    The people who are bashing the students are just plain jealous.
    Everyone wants to be noticed. They all want to be on Fashion Walk!!
    Great job BWOG- keep it up

• I'm a californian says:

@I'm a californian who just wants everyone to shut up with the “my state is better than your state” bs. There are better things to do with your time than debate generalizations. You obviously came to Columbia for a reason, because NYC is where it’s at.

• California love. says:

@California love. Californians are not only happier and more relaxed but were successful.California is still the frontier for the United States. New Yorkers may be \more alert and productive\ but the Golden State is still where it’s at. Ebay, google, apple, green energy, you name it.
    New York = old money.
    California is all about innovation.

I love it here but it’ll never beat the warm California sun.

• Why is says:

@Why is a kid from North Carolina saying hyphy? You’re not from the Bay. Another example of California jealousy.

@Anonymous there is no fashion in columbia