At around 2 AM, McBain was evacuated due to a fire that appears to have started in the room directly above Milano (or in Deluxe? Bwog is getting conflicting reports) on the second floor. started when the rain shorted out the Deluxe sign, setting fire to the canopy above it (updated 2:40 a.m.). A McBain resident reported that there was “lots of smoke” in the hallways, and a Nussbaum resident saw a large flame coming out of the window. Fire trucks and police cars filled the corner of 113th and Broadway and put out the fire in less than 10 minutes. As of 2:15 AM, the fire trucks were clearing away. A Watt resident reports that the window is very charred, but no one was hurt. The entire street “smells like a campfire.”
As of 2:20 AM, hundreds of McBain residents are stranded outside in the rain. One RA estimated it would be 1-4 or more hours until they are let back in. Bwog’s thoughts are with you, shafted and soggy sophomores!
UPDATE, 9:45 AM: The unlucky residents of McBain 211 report that the fire came into their open window while they were sleeping. The firefighters “barged into the room” to make sure nothing was on fire. The residents, Fernando Rios, CC’12, and Spencer Almen, SEAS’12, are being temporarily relocated while their broken door and windows are fixed.