Professor Interviews: Basketball and Plumbing

Office hours: they’re the best! For the latest in our ongoing series of professor interviews, Sam Schube spoke with old Bwog favorite Bruce Robbins. While you might know him from that one essay you skimmed for University Writing (that’d be “The Sweatshop Sublime”), Robbins is a man of many interests—chief among them plumbing and the plight of the New York Knickerbockers.

Just to settle a personal bugaboo, you’re not the Bruce Robbins who pitched for the Detroit Tigers in the late ’70s, are you?

I’m not. I actually threw four no-hitters in my last year of Little League, and if that had gone further, I would not be here today. I would have much preferred it, frankly, but everyone else kinda grew a lot faster than I did. I threw my best fastball and just watched it disappear. End of career.

I remember you made a subtle basketball reference in class early this yearlikening an authorial choice to a “non-call” by the referee. Are you a basketball fan?

Yeah, I’m a Knicks fan. It’s a hard time to be a Knicks fan. But the future…

You think so?

Well, the tricky thing is, does LeBron James want to come to a team that looks as feeble as the Knicks? Anyway, they need somebody with serious low-post moves.

Changing gears: what are you working on now?

Well, let’s see… this week, I’m giving a talk on secularism at the New School. It’s not serious research, it’s more like scholarly polemics. There’s this phenomenon called post-secularism, which is a kind of very strong attack on Western rationality, and I’m critical of Western rationality, but I’m not as critical as they are.

You had mentioned something about plumbing?

Yeah, I’m speaking about plumbing and infrastructure at Brown. Plumbing is a mode of interconnection between domestic intimacy and the larger world. I wrote something about this called “The Smell of Infrastructure” [What up, JSTOR! UNI/password required] about how infrastructure is perceived to smell because nobody takes care of it and nobody loves it. But I think since then, people have been discovering that infrastructure is kind of sexy, as the sort of structure of necessity—that other things are built on, that you can depend on, even if you don’t notice it until it stops working. So it’s kind of trying to do something with the imagination of the hidden ways we’re connected to each other.

Have you done any practical research?

I have not. Where plumbing is concerned, I call the super.

Any hobbies, interests, things we might not know about you?

Well, you got the sports thing. My son beats the shit out of me one-on-one, which was not always the case. What is interesting is that he continues to want to beat the shit out of me, and it’s not “point made.” The rules are that, since I can’t guard him, I just foul him, and the question is, can he make the lay-up anyway?

Academic obsessions? Plumbing?

Well, plumbing’s not quite an obsession… Hm, let me think. It’s so uninteresting not to have any obsessions! This is probably too serious, but I’m interested in the Middle East—as a Jew, I’m interested in the Middle East. I just came back from Palestine, where my daughter is doing her Ph.D. research, so I was visiting her. That was incredibly cool. And I suppose I have some urge to do a little representing of a side of the story that doesn’t get represented a whole lot.

So that was over spring break—did you do any trashy reading?

I read, let’s see—not trashy, James Wood’s novel The Book Against God, I read Colum McCann’s Let the Great World Spin.

Oh, my dad’s been recommending that one. Thoughts?

Well, it’s one of these “trying to connect us all in a city.” It’s kind of related to the infrastructure thing. The center of it is the moment Philippe Petit walked the tightrope [at the World Trade Center in 1974]. I live not all that far from there [pulls a picture from the shelf]—that’s a picture I took from my roof on September 11th. That gave me a very strong sense of neighborhood.

How do you find living far from campus?

It means a few things. It means students don’t see what groceries I’m buying.

And that’s good?

I prefer not to have my grocery choices vetted—”Aha!” you know, “Cheerios—no, Honey Nut Cheerios!” I fantasize that everyone else is having more fun, you know, because everyone is bopping in and out of each other’s apartments all the time, whereas I’ve been living in the same apartment since 1985—a long time before I came to Columbia. In the nice weather I can ride my bicycle along the river to get here, which is kind of nice as a way of starting the day. Makes you a little smelly for class.

Last question: there’s a pretty great picture on Bwog of your face Photoshopped onto Bruce Springsteen’s body [see above]. So: fan of the Boss?

I think he’s great, yeah. Poor guy, though—it’s kind of insulting to him. He’s an American hero!

• bwog, says:

@bwog, what happened to you?

This is boring, and halfway unintelligible. For instance, “How do you find living far from campus?”… You never tell us where he lives.

@Anonymous He says right before that question that he lives near the WTC.

1. haha says:

@haha pwnd

• this interview says:

@this interview is absolutely fascinating

• oh bruce robbins says:

@oh bruce robbins brings back memories of u writing…

• KN says:

@KN LETS GO KNICKS! LETS GO KNICKS! LETS GO KNICKS

(lets dooo it)

1. GOOOOOOOOOOOO says:

@GOOOOOOOOOOOO DAVID LEE

KNICKZ GONNA EFF DEM UP NEXTZ YERR

@Anonymous There is no such thing as Palestine. Thank G-d I have never taken a class with this guy.

1. guess what says:

@guess what the likelihood of you having taken a class taught by a professor who believes in the existence of Palestine in this school is pretty high, barring any extenuating acts of divine intervention

• RED ALERT says:

@RED ALERT TROLL SIGHTING
    DO NOT ENGAGE
    REPEAT
    DO NOT ENGAGE

STEP AWAY FROM THE RHETORIC AND REMEMBER THIS IS BWOG

1. hehe says:

@hehe yay! 1o points for you. :)

• where says:

@where the HELL is senior wisdom? time is a wastin’!

1. agreed says:

@agreed get on it bwog!

2. James Downie says:

@James Downie Patience, friend. Questionnaires have gone out to the first round of seniors, and we’ll be starting the series soon enough. Last year, we didn’t start until May 1, so we’re very much ahead of that schedule.

1. thanks! says:

@thanks! hey, can we nominate people for senior wisdom? or did that already happen?

3. What says:

@What the HELL is senior wisdom?

• yayyyy says:

@yayyyy this was like… exactly what I just wanted to read. Schube talking about sports and books and the Middle East with a professor I love. can that just be a feature? I wish this had been a video post…

• ... says:

@... DUDES juli weiner got drudgereported! for sticking her tongue out at matt drudge even… second link down about currency!

• sophomores getting b'way singles says:

@sophomores getting b'way singles hey bwog, i was looking up the unis on the floor of b’way i’m gonna live in next year to be creepy and see who my neighbors were

anyways, there are a decent number of sophomores in b’way singles – what’sup?

@Anonymous *rising sophomores

2. Current Sophomore says:

@Current Sophomore sitting in my broadway single right now bitches