Senior Wisdom: Deysy Ordóñez-Arreola
Written by Bwog Staff
Claim to fame: CCSC Vice-President for Campus Life; President of Sabor; Student Organization of Latinos; Organization of Pakistani Students; CU Bellydance; and taught Spanish GED (math) in Washington Heights.
Where are you going? Macau on a Fulbright.
Three things you learned at Columbia:
- If you get to know your professors they will help you with anything
- Music and food bring people together [AND you can live off of studybreaks and events—free food and sometimes clothes!]
- Controversy can be seen as chaotic but it ignites conversations on differences—and differences make life interesting; e.g. Ahmadinejad at Columbia.
Justify your existence in 30 words or fewer: Apart from giving out free food, shirts, foam paws, more shirts…I believe in the wise words of the powerful Jedi Master, Yoda: “Try not. Do… or do not. There is no try”.
Any war stories from the War on Fun? Was on council….enough said.
Would you rather give up oral sex or cheese? Oh boy….how about we combine them instead?
Any advice for the Class of 2014?
- Don’t be afraid to try new things–really, be open minded and outgoing.
- The sooner you get over the fact that you were valedictorian or whatever form of big-shot in high school, the sooner you will enjoy the amazing people around you! Remember everyone at Columbia worked really hard to get here–learn about people’s stories!
- Hopstop.com will get you around the city, yep, 4 years in the city and I still use it.
- Live. Love. Laugh….and Smile!
Never trying the frozen yogurt at the Tasti D-Lite in Lerner. (For the young ones—it was above Ferris Booth and moved out in 2009). Oh well, Pinkberry came just in time.