Menu CATEGORIES

Connect with us

CATEGORIES Menu
All Articles

John Jay Evacuated Due to Fire

Hundreds of freshmen are stranded outside of John Jay tonight due to a fire-related incident. Multiple people Bwog talked to indicate that they saw smoke coming out of trash chutes and saw smoke in the hallways, even on the highest floors. A popular theory amongst the stranded is that someone threw something flammable or ignited down into the trash chutes.

There are firemen on the scene now, and there’s no word of when students will be allowed back in.

Update, 1:11am: They’ve been letting students back in for a while and the crowd has all but cleared. The security guard at the John Jay desk informed us that someone threw an object (he conjectured a cigarette or something of the like, as most students have) down the 7th floor chute, which fell to the 4th floor and caught on fire, causing sprinklers to go off. There is also no elevator service currently. We’ll keep you updated with any further major developments!

Update, 2:36am: A tipster that actually lives on JJ7 has informed us that students on the floor with a view of the trash chute before the fire did not see anyone dropping anything down there. While some of the 7th floor residents were studying, someone spotted smoke coming from the chute and opened its door. This caused more smoke to billow out, and this is possibly what eventually set off the fire alarm. The plot thickens!

Write a comment

Your email address will not be published.

 

26 Comments

  • If you can't stand the heat says:

    @If you can't stand the heat get out of the Kitchenette.

  • Brett Favre says:

    @Brett Favre SUCKS

  • hey! says:

    @hey! Can you please post as soon as they let people back in? I’m taking shelter in Broadway for the time being. Thanks Bwog. I love you. Freal.

  • Anonymous says:

    @Anonymous haha!

  • Anonymous says:

    @Anonymous they let us back in – but no taking the elevator

  • jj15 says:

    @jj15 no elevator and smoke rises. gotta love the 15th floor. At least we have the GREATEST RA EVER. (hi erin!)

  • shiii- says:

    @shiii- aaaand we’re back in.

  • Anonymous says:

    @Anonymous stop ashing joints in the garbage chutes!

  • blah says:

    @blah it smells horrible on the 14th

  • The residents of JJ 7 says:

    @The residents of JJ 7 the only reason the fire alarm went off on the seventh floor was because one of us walked past the chute, noticed there was smoke coming from the chute, and opened it. a lot of smoke came out of the chute and set off the alarm. fire didn’t start on our floor. there are at least ten witnesses to this. don’t blame us.

  • WHO says:

    @WHO DA FAAAAAAAAAAAAWK

  • The Residents of JJ7 says:

    @The Residents of JJ7 The only reason the fire alarm went off on the seventh floor was because one of us noticed smoke coming from the chute and opened the chute. The smoke ended up setting off the alarm three seconds later. JJ7 didn’t start it.

    1. Anonymous says:

      @Anonymous we didn’t start the fiiiiiire

      1. !!! says:

        @!!! …it was always burning since the world’s been turning SLASH since John Jay Dining Hall’s been using flammable dung pits to cook the food. Animate THAT, Bansky.

      2. lolz says:

        @lolz that comment of made of 9001% win

  • omg says:

    @omg WHAT THE FUCK?! i slept through this last night…was there an actual fire?

  • John from 14 says:

    @John from 14 forgive, but never forget

  • Anonymous says:

    @Anonymous it was caused by someone throwing a candle into the chute

  • Why this is dumb says:

    @Why this is dumb It is almost definitely the fault of maintenance. Smoke from the chute suggests a compactor problem — i.e. trash compactor was malfunctioning and caught fire or started smoking. That, or a malotov cock tail down the trash chute. And yes, I did say “cock tail.” we ought to consider how weird or English language is from time to time.

    1. Why this is dumb says:

      @Why this is dumb Typos are due to a mobile device. Don’t flame me. Thanks.

    2. Why this is dumb says:

      @Why this is dumb Don’t flame me especially because there was enough of that in John Jay last night, of course.

  • Anonymous says:

    @Anonymous Ryan started the fire!

  • Anonymous says:

    @Anonymous it was probably jj5
    they suck, every year.

    1. Anonymous says:

      @Anonymous I sense jealousy

    2. Anonymous says:

      @Anonymous true. jj6 ftw!

      1. Anonymous says:

        @Anonymous jj6 was just as bad. pot, kettle, there you go.

  • Have Your Say

    What should Bwog's new tagline be?

    View Results

    Loading ... Loading ...

    Popular This Week

    Sorry. No data so far.

    Recent Comments

    Thanks for writing this! Definitely enjoyed the easy reading part and loved the art! (read more)
    Bwog Book Club: W.I.T.C.H. (The Graphic Novel Series)
    May 23, 2020
    TRULY GREAT TIPS BWOG 🦁❤️🦁❤️🎈 (read more)
    Open Letter To Our Professors: Zoom Do’s And Don’ts
    May 22, 2020
    I thought she was a great CC prof. (read more)
    Happy Grad Students: Part One in a One Part Series
    May 20, 2020
    I disagree, she was my TA and she was awesome! Really helpful with reading rough drafts of papers, and a (read more)
    Happy Grad Students: Part One in a One Part Series
    May 20, 2020

    Comment Policy

    The purpose of Bwog’s comment section is to facilitate honest and open discussion between members of the Columbia community. We encourage commenters to take advantage of—without abusing—the opportunity to engage in anonymous critical dialogue with other community members. A comment may be moderated if it contains:
    • A slur—defined as a pejorative derogatory phrase—based on ethnicity, race, gender, sexual orientation, ability, or spiritual belief
    • Hate speech
    • Unauthorized use of a person’s identity
    • Personal information about an individual
    • Baseless personal attacks on specific individuals
    • Spam or self-promotion
    • Copyright infringement
    • Libel