Hot, Steamy, Fogged-Up Glass

Mr. Glass himself, looking a little less sweaty.

Public radio nerds, light your torches and sharpen your pitchforks (this, not this)—Ira Glass’s honor is under attack. The mastermind and host of WBEZ Chicago’s “This American Life” is the star of a celebrity sex tape, Public Radio Nerd No. 1, Austin Williams, explains.

Well, sort of. Julian Joslin, (also older brother of CC junior Isabella), and Michael Grinspan, both CC’09, created a brilliant 11-minute parody episode of TAL in two acts (including a closing credits Torey Malatia joke) in which Ira decides to make a sex tape, on air, with Fresh Air’s Terry Gross. Joslin’s take on the icon’s nasal delivery and writing style is spot on. It’s good enough that we’re willing to bet at least one person now believes they’ve heard their favorite radio host’s coital noises. The video is ridicule born out of love, of course; you don’t mimic Ira Glass that well unless you’ve listened to a whole lot of his show. That may have been lost on the man himself, though, who couldn’t even make it through a complete listen.

The real Ira, in the Village Voice:

“I’ve listened to about three minutes of it. His imitation of my writing and delivery are so dead-on, it was hard to keep listening and I stopped. If I had to articulate why, I think it was because hearing his version of me, made what I do on the air seem kind of dumb. And the impersonation was so good, I couldn’t really pick a fight with it. So I had to decide, do I want to see myself as kind of trite and dumb? Seemed better to stop. Maybe I’ll go back sometime.”

Buck up Ira, we love what you do. (Check out the Blue and White interview with him from way back when). As for the other voices, Huffpo explains Julian trolled NPR footage and spliced Terry from nine different “Fresh Air” episodes. And to TAL devotees, watch at your own risk: listening to the podcast while folding your laundry on Sunday mornings will never be the same.

Before AND after shot via Wikimedia Commons.

• Love says:

@Love this so much!!

• NPR lover says:

@NPR lover But I do think about you with nothing but your glasses on.

• please says:

@please make more

• I don't want anybody else says:

@I don't want anybody else Oh, Ira, if only.

@Anonymous This is mindblowingly good.

• Personally says:

@Personally I want one made of Carl Kassell

@Anonymous um HELLO where is the michale grinspan cred?? CC’09 folks

@Anonymous …michael… sass gets you everywhere and nowhere folks

• wow says:

@wow this is DEAD ON. so good.

@Anonymous oh my god this is so good. love it.

• ... says:

@... the real question is, will it actually achieve it’s not-so-subtle goal? on the one hand, it’s cute. on the other, well, publicly lambasting people and the fruits of their labor isn’t exactly the best way to win them over even if they have an above average capacity for self-deprecating humor.

that said, maybe rockstar is hiring producers for radio segments to appear in gta v…

• radio junkie says:

@radio junkie Not to be *that person,* but TAL is actually distributed by PRI, not NPR. NPR actually passed on the show (the strumpets!) before PRI picked it up, but a lot of local public radio stations air it alongside NPR programming.

• I phone 4s says:

@I phone 4s ask where you can hide a dead body… answer- swamps, dunps river
    tell her that you are drunk….. it will call a cab and give you local cabs

@Anonymous julian joslin was the sexiest man to live in mcbain a couple years in a row.

@Anonymous were the other voices sound clips or other people? A mix?

@Anonymous so so so well done! I love the pledge week craigslist ad!

@Anonymous this is actually so so good

What should our staffer name her pet raccoon?

Let's go over the evidence: 1. We have a sworn statement under penalty of perjury from a former Ukrainian prosecutor general (read more)
    More Egregious Than Watergate: A Guide To The Recent Impeachment Scandal
    October 15, 2019
    Pelosi does not have the constitutional authority to open an impeachment inquiry. She is not a dictator. The entire matter (read more)
    More Egregious Than Watergate: A Guide To The Recent Impeachment Scandal
    October 15, 2019
    You can read the transcript for yourselves, which the media and the democrats never thought the president was going to (read more)
    More Egregious Than Watergate: A Guide To The Recent Impeachment Scandal
    October 15, 2019
    The "whistleblower's" name is Eric Ciaramella. He is a CIA officer and Obama holdover who worked for Pence and is (read more)
    More Egregious Than Watergate: A Guide To The Recent Impeachment Scandal