Copy Edit

Senior Wisdom: Sam Schube

Name, Hometown, School: Sam Schube, Los Angeles, CC, studying English

Claim to Fame? The Blue and White, COÖP, and I probably spoke over you in that English seminar a bunch.

Where are you going? Staying in New York, looking for editorial work.

Three things you learned at Columbia?

1. 1020 is a better living room than anything housing has to offer.
  2. Poetry just isn’t for me, but Victorian lit is.
  3. I’m still not sure I ever learned how to use “dialectic” properly in class or in writing, but that didn’t stop me from doing it anyway.

Back in my day…” they called it Shea.

Justify your existence in 30 words or less: I’m equally interested in the death of the author and the plight of the point forward.

Is the War on Fun over? Who won? Any war stories? As long as the university is run like a corporation, the war on fun will continue. We’re simply too big a liability to be allowed to wreak the good kinds of havoc. That’s cynical, though–you can always get away with having a good time. The terrace on the 5th floor of Kent is a fine place to start.

Would you rather give up oral sex or cheese? I’ll defer to Keith Richards, who’s seen some things: “Cheese is a no-no for me. Everybody else, go eat it. Just take a look at yourself. Fermented milk is not the ideal choice for everyday eating, that’s all.”

Advice for the class of 2016?

You’re never too busy to have a few with some pals at 1020. Put away your phone, especially if it’s smart; you might see someone or something interesting. Ride a bike. Try to read the occasional extracurricular novel. Play hooky to go to a baseball game. Broadly, watch sports–it’ll only add to the things you learn in class about labor, race, and history in America. Study what you love–this place needs curious students in every field–and defend it, fiercely. And never stop questioning the administration, who, to these conspiracy-seeking eyes, are more interested in LeBron-style global brandhood than healthy (uninhibited, robust, and wide-open?) undergrad education.

Any regrets?

Too many, most of which involve 1020.

• omg says:

@omg exact same experience with “dialectic”

@Anonymous my favorite “back in my day” yet

@Anonymous One of the smartest people I’ve met at Columbia.

@Anonymous hey i think this kid;s favorite campus bar is 1020 right?

@Anonymous best back in my day

• His advice says:

@His advice has the same exact tone as Ryan’s: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro9CNCcPTnc

• Ryan from the office everyone says:

@Ryan from the office everyone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro9CNCcPTnc

@Anonymous you are the worst.

• CC '11 says:

@CC '11 This man understands 1020. Kudos.

• Stop says:

@Stop “I probably spoke over you in that English seminar a bunch.”

Not something to brag about.

@Anonymous but you have to appreciate his honesty…

@Anonymous wow, it’s just UNREAL what a douche this kid is. shut it down.

@Anonymous Seriously:

“Broadly, watch sports–it’ll only add to the things you learn in class about labor, race, and history in America.”

What a condescending turd.

@Anonymous how is this condescending? if you look around, you’ll see that the stuff about race, class, and more generally society that you learn in books is visible pretty much everywhere you make the effort to look. sure, he’s bringing something up that’s moderately taboo [which is really unfortunate], but i really fail to see how it’s condescending to be observant and make connections between what you learn in school and the real world.

in general, i really liked this senior wisdom. “put away your phone” is brilliant advice that i should really heed.

though i’ve got to agree that i’m not a fan of the instagrammed photo

1. minor correction says:

@minor correction the fact that discussing the huge lines dividing our society is taboo being unfortunate, not the fact that he brought it up, which i would consider a good thing

@Anonymous It’s condescending to the proles like me who watch and play sports for the love of it, and not for pseudo-intellectual deconstruction or to be ironic while nursing a douchey microbrew at 1020. I’m no jock, I’m a STEM major who plays sports recreationally when time permits and I’m a hockey fan. However I’m obviously too imbecilic to have learned anything about race in America from watching a bunch of Swedes and Russians beat each other up in the NHL.

@Anonymous the instagramed photo is the icing on the douche cake.

@Anonymous “Poetry just isn’t for me…”

Good luck with truly appreciating language then, douche.

• we all scream: says:

@we all scream: WHITE PEOPLE 4 LYFE

@Anonymous lolol who is a point forward?? this kid is kinda cool methinks

• sari says:

@sari schubes! hellyeah!

• Why you all mad though? says:

@Why you all mad though? Seriously, everybody hating on this kid needs to grow the fuck up. Why do you have to get so offended over his life advice in a piece entitled – oh, right – “Senior Wisdom”? And furthermore, what compels you so to try shitting all over him? It’s a real person who actually wrote this and offered it up for other people to read – would you ever say the things you type to his face? I’ve interacted with Sam before (he’s mad chill), I’ve played basketball with him (so he clearly sees the recreational and experiential value to sports as well, idiots), and I’ve taken a class with him (he’s mad smart). So please, for the love of God, shut up.

And for the record, Sam is obviously a grown person, so I’m not even doing this really to “defend” him. I just wanted to make my point across to the trolls with respect to their ignorance and waste of potential positivity.

@Anonymous u mad or just like that word

• seems like says:

@seems like this guy should’ve been in the class of 1020, not 2012…
    amirite?!?

• nothing special and says:

@nothing special and insanely pretentious