In a combination of astronomy and municipal history, the “Manhattanhenge” phenomena, “discovered” by Columbia’s own Neil DeGrasse Tyson, occurs today and tomorrow (July 11 and 12) at sunset. For more information about the science involved, Scientific American’s blog has some interesting background (and a tool to determine”-henge” moments in other cities), and Wikipedia has a nifty explanatory graph.
Rumor has it that the best locations for sunset viewing are 14th, 23rd, 34th, 42nd, 57th Streets.
illustration via Manolith
@Anonymous “Phenomenon” is the singular. “Phenomena” is the plural. #corrections
@Hipster photography Brace yourself…instagrams are coming
@hey, bwog rumor has it you didnt source your rumor
@Refined Asian Gentleman — On Ambition, Cigars, and Women: The Finer Things in Life. A Conversation with a Refined Asian Gentleman —
Dear Gentlewomen and Gentlemen of Elite Target Institutions:
I am writing to let you know that I have determined the finest things in life to be (in no particular order):
– beautiful and smart white women with big round eyes and porcelain skin
– cuban cigars
– summer vacations “out east” in the hamptons and martha’s vineyard
– Chteau Margaux fine wine
– a fine, liberal arts education
– engineering competence (for well rounded-ism)
– white women
– academic prestige and excellency (e.g., columbia, princeton, yale)
– Polo (not the clothing)
– yacht racing
– sustained financial success in your proven field (banking, law, medicine, academia, research, etc…)
– white women
– an appreciation for classical music
– an appreciation for other forms of cultural and artistic expression (raps about social issues, rock music with political fervor, etc…)
It is my sincere wish that my fellow Ivy League gunners and social entrepreneurs strive for the above-stated goals of excellency, ambition, and self-advancement.
Let us all become better, harder-working, and more refined gentlewomen and gentlemen of this fine institution and nation.
Refined Asian Guy Class of 2012
@Anonymous I hate to break it to you…
You’ll never be a “gentleman:” you haven’t the birthright or the breeding. You’re little more than a boring parvenu dropping what you think are upper-class cultural references in an attempt to hide your Asiatic roots and status anxiety.
My guess is that you’ll end up in finance as the butt of jokes in the office and known as the guy who turns bright red and awkwardly hits on women who want nothing to do with him at FiDi bars and the occasional charity event.
Please get over yourself.
@Anonymous omg that’s so exciting!!
@Anonymous yeah i no!!!!!
@Anonymous o.m.g. like, totally! so kawaii >3> desudesudesu