Houses And Homes: Home Sweet Home

Bwog asked what your living space was like this past summer, and many of you answered. Yesterday was Columbia’s official move-in day, though, which means we have to stop living in denial and accept that summer really is over. Tipster Grace R finishes off our series with a reminder of the months to come…

Where: Where else? New Jersey

Sight: Bwog of course, a 9/10ths of the way complete Model UN background guide, a list of classes that I still have to register for, and Season 4 of a mediocre show called Eureka, which I’m fairly certain is the only thing Netflix has left to offer me.

Smell: The stench of post-internship, post-vacation malaise, a slightly beachy, not entirely unpleasant fragrance from the suitcases I’m refusing to unpack, and the ever-present, somewhat paradoxical aroma of body odor and axe deodorant that seeps from under my 13 year old brother’s door.

Sound: My brother shouting because he wants a ride somewhere, my mom shouting because someone cancelled her recording of Rachel Maddow from yesterday, my dad shouting because everyone else is, and he’s trying to nap.

Taste: Columbia, in the “so-close-I-can-taste-it” figurative sense, and stale Wegman’s brand corn chips in the literal.

@Anonymous This series was sorta like a pretentious instagram feed. Pretentious because of the description… But I did enjoy the pictures.

• Former NJ resident says:

@Former NJ resident this makes me sad. New jersey in the summer–granted, we may be from different parts–is as magical as any of the other Houses and Homes: fireflies, blueberries, evening jazz concerts in the park, Fourth of July parades, kids running around with glowsticks. Even the Shore has a really great culture with retro motels, the Stone Pony, teenagers on dates at carnivals, pancake houses, bed & breakfasts, kitsch, and thousands of colorful beach umbrellas. It’s too bad that Grace R is jaded and/or that New Jersey’s stereotypical representation happens to be her experience of it. Guess I should have sent in my own picture.

1. Grace R. says:

@Grace R. Hey man, I love New Jersey. I’m going to add Princeton and the Sourlands and Lambertville and antiques and pie and porkroll and Kevin Smith to your list. I’m just saying that at a certain point New Jersey is New Jersey and while it will always be home we’re all really just waiting to be somewhere else.

• Gh says:

@Gh This description is classic. Whoever wrote this made me smile today.

• anon says:

@anon “…Mediocre show called ___ , which I’m fairly certain is the only thing Netflix has left to offer me.”

Brilliant.

1. even better says:

@even better is that it’s season 4.