PeopleHop: Mario Ančić

Mario playing at the 2008 Toronto Masters Series

Croatian former tennis star Mario Ančić, who peaked at #7 on the ATP singles ranking and beat Roger Federer in 2002, is now a student at Columbia Law School; we sent Intrepid Interviewer Noel Gutierrez-Morfin on a mission. Ančić did not understand a few of Bwog’s most genius and hilarious questions due to a language barrier, but he gave some great answers regardless.

Bwog: How did you come to choose Columbia for law school?

Mario: I was looking into law programs throughout the country, and I wanted to get international experience. I applied to some of the schools around the country, but I decided that Columbia Law School has everything I want. Being in New York, and being at one of the best law schools in the world… It was an easy choice for me.

Bwog: Do you have a favorite professor or class here?

Mario: Well, my classes just started and I don’t have one yet. Ask me after finals!

Bwog: What would you say was the greatest victory of your tennis career?

Mario: It’s tough to say, but I would probably say it was winning the Davis Cup, which is like the World Cup of tennis. I played the deciding match. That was an amazing victory for me and for my country, and after winning that, being able to celebrate with my team and with my country just made it an amazing win. You really get to see what sports are about. The next day when we arrived in Croatia, you can see the joy you bring to people, which is the essence of sports.

Bwog: So when you’re not studying or practicing, what do you usually do now that you’ve gotten to New York?

Mario: As soon as I came, I wanted to get to know New York, because when I would come [for tennis], I didn’t have too much time for that. I went to everything: museums, the Statue of Liberty, everything I didn’t get a chance to see when I was playing. I’ve been hanging out with my classmates and the people from my programs, and just meeting very interesting people.

Bwog: What’s your favorite song to warm-up to?

Mario: It’s been a while since I’ve had to warm up for a match. I love rock songs. Rock has always been something that’s worked for that.

Bwog: What would you say is worse: tennis elbow or writer’s block?

Mario: I’d say writer’s block. It hurts.

Athletic swag via Wikimedia Commons

@Anonymous He seems like a pretty cool dude.

@Anonymous if by cool you mean…HOT

@Anonymous This tennis player’s words are like his arms…they hold no weight

• AHHHHHH says:

@AHHHHHH WHAT?!?! totally had a random crush on this guy in high school

*goes into stalker mode*

@Anonymous whaaaat this is awesome.

• Anonymous from the Ice Skating post says:

@Anonymous from the Ice Skating post JK, I guess we do care about grad students.

• Yikes... says:

@Yikes... Thus far, this is the athlete at Columbia I’m most interested in

• Almost Starstruck says:

@Almost Starstruck I saw him on walking on campus last week and did a double take! So it really is him then, hm..

• Anon says:

@Anon No oral sex or cheese question?

• Out on this Limb says:

@Out on this Limb Anyone else think he kinda looks like Nick from New Girl? (also known as Girl this season)

• Am I just post-911 horny? says:

@Am I just post-911 horny? …Because, brr, hello salty goodness.

Mother, may I?

@Anonymous He’s just so sexy…