Overheard: The People at Columbia Really Care

Other heartwarming things

Yesterday, a tipster had a conversation with a woman on the cleaning staff in Wallach. Our tipster wished her a good morning and said that he appreciated her work. Though this isn’t the typical way in which overheards on Bwog work, her response was too heartwarming not to share:

Sweetie, I love my job. I have been working at Columbia for 17 years, and it feels like yesterday. Your parents send you here to do good, but they can’t take care of you. I just want to make sure that you all are okay. We are—cómo se dice—connected. Have a good day, sweetie.

Columbia and You via Wikimedia Commons

@Anonymous I know exactly who this cleaning lady in Wallach is! Sweetest person ever

@Anonymous Bwog, we need more overheards and seen on campus!!

@Anonymous shedding tears. this is the cutest.

• WMH says:

@WMH is this conchita? this sounds like conchita.

love you conchita.

@Anonymous I teared up. But that might be because of the all-nighter.

• broken_symlink says:

@broken_symlink Honestly, the janitors here care more about undergrads than administrators do, and its sad because based on some of the things I have seen people do to public areas in dorms the janitors get treated like shit by us. Why do people think its ok to mess up the bathroom or kitchen because the janitor is going to clean it up?

1. amen says:

@amen I have never heard a more accurate statement.

2. agreed says:

@agreed Recognition for some of the security guards, Hartley hospitality staff, and dining staff too!

• love this says:

@love this I’ve been in a weird funk for the last two days or so and this is exactly what I needed

1. I feel ya says:

@I feel ya Hang in there buddy!

• Anon says:

@Anon I know exactly who this is! She is so sweet. I remember pushing myself too far during finals week and I caught a bad cold while trying to pull consecutive all-nighters. I was sniffling and miserable; morning came and she gave me a whole roll of paper towels to blow my nose. As if that weren’t enough, she comforted me with her kind words of encouragement. It made me feel truly cared for. Sometimes, that’s all that really matters. Bless her.

• Staff Appreciation Day says:

@Staff Appreciation Day How apt that Thursday (today) is Barnard Staff Appreciation Day! Show Barnard workers how much you care and express thanks by picking up a cookie (homemade by students) and delivering it to your favorite Barnard worker throughout the day! You can also sign a giant card to the workers in the Barnard dorms on Thursday night.

• Staff Appreciation Day says:

@Staff Appreciation Day https://www.facebook.com/events/238612012932654/?fref=ts