Connect with us

All Articles

Grading Policy Changes; No One Gets It

"W? What?

“W? What?

It wouldn’t be a Columbia semester without a tiny yet massively confusing administration change. In an email sent out just yesterday by Kathryn B. Yatrakis, Dean of Academic Affairs, Columbia College students found out that as of the Spring 2014 semester, the “UW” grade will no longer exist and the “W” will be introduced. Apparently the “W” just signifies that a student has withdrawn (by the Pass/D/Fail deadline, of course). All Bwog knows is that the old “UW” meant a University Withdrawal, and that it’s initiated by the professor rather than the student. Here’s the full email, if it can clarify anything at all. Hint: it can’t.

As registration for Spring 2014 begins, I write to let you know about a change to gradingpolicy for Columbia College students that will go into effect next semester (Spring 2014). The faculty Committee on Instruction has decided that the grade of UW will no longer be available for Columbia College students. Instead, you will be able to withdraw from a (non-Core) course after the drop deadline, and before the Pass/D/Fail deadline, and a W will appear on your transcript for the course. After the Pass/D/Fail deadline, you will receive a grade for the course.

The full policy reads:

Columbia College students are not permitted to remove a course from their academic record after the drop deadline (the fifth week of the semester), after which point but no later than the Pass/D/Fail deadline (the eleventh week of the semester), students may withdraw from a class resulting in the mark of W. This is a permanent mark, and remains on the transcript even if the student repeats the course for credit.

Students may not drop or withdraw from a course after the Pass/D/Fail deadline and after that point may only receive the letter grade earned in the course.

Students may not drop or withdraw from a Core Curriculum course after the Core drop deadline (end of the second week of the semester).

Students should be aware that in order to remain in good academic standing they must successfully complete no fewer than 12 points of academic credit. Students who do not earn at least 12 credits in a semester will face academic probation, suspension, or dismissal.

Please be sure to talk with your advising deans to discuss any specific questions you may have regarding your academic program and to receive instructions on how to withdraw from a course.

Thanks for clearing that up, ma’am.

 College student’s confusion via Shutterstock.

Write a comment

Your email address will not be published.



  • silly says:

    @silly UW = Unofficial Withdrawal. Formerly “Assigned to students whose names appear on the grade sheet but who have discontinued attendance.”

  • Her title says:

    @Her title She’s the Dean of Academic Affairs.

    1. Alexander Pines says:

      @Alexander Pines Fixed.

  • dot dot says:

    @dot dot um so what does this mean

  • Have Your Say

    What should Bwog's new tagline be?

    View Results

    Loading ... Loading ...

    Popular This Week

    Sorry. No data so far.

    Recent Comments

    Thanks for writing this! Definitely enjoyed the easy reading part and loved the art! (read more)
    Bwog Book Club: W.I.T.C.H. (The Graphic Novel Series)
    May 23, 2020
    TRULY GREAT TIPS BWOG 🦁❤️🦁❤️🎈 (read more)
    Open Letter To Our Professors: Zoom Do’s And Don’ts
    May 22, 2020
    I thought she was a great CC prof. (read more)
    Happy Grad Students: Part One in a One Part Series
    May 20, 2020
    I disagree, she was my TA and she was awesome! Really helpful with reading rough drafts of papers, and a (read more)
    Happy Grad Students: Part One in a One Part Series
    May 20, 2020

    Comment Policy

    The purpose of Bwog’s comment section is to facilitate honest and open discussion between members of the Columbia community. We encourage commenters to take advantage of—without abusing—the opportunity to engage in anonymous critical dialogue with other community members. A comment may be moderated if it contains:
    • A slur—defined as a pejorative derogatory phrase—based on ethnicity, race, gender, sexual orientation, ability, or spiritual belief
    • Hate speech
    • Unauthorized use of a person’s identity
    • Personal information about an individual
    • Baseless personal attacks on specific individuals
    • Spam or self-promotion
    • Copyright infringement
    • Libel