Classes To Make Your Spring Semester Bloom

shutterstock_213330322

Gotta keep the admissions student-teacher ratio alive

Spring registration season is upon us, which is only the beginning of you spending more time stalking unknown professors on CULPA than stalking your best friends on Facebook. And we applaud you for your valiant efforts to attempt to handpick a perfect batch of professors, but remember your Courses by ADI will only look cool if your classes have cool titles. Because Bwog’s always got your academic back, here is the Spring 2015 list of classes to take before you die (because we sense that’s not how you’re already approaching selection of your classes). Additional suggestions? Refer to the comments section.

English: Yeats, Eliot, Auden. Edward Mendelson.

Sociology: Music, Race, and Identity. Jonathan Rieder.

Anthropology: Women and Gender Politics in the Muslim World. Nadia Guessous.

Comparative Literature: Medieval Women’s Texts. Emma B O’Loughlin.

Political Science: First Amendment Values. Paula Franzese.

History: Poisoned Worlds: Corporate Behavior and Public Health. David Rosner.

Psychology: Inheritance. Frances Champagne.

Dance: Pilates for Dancers. Mary Carpenter.

Economics: Principles of Economics. Sunil Gulati.

Comparative Literature: Magical, Carnival, Sacrament, Theatre: European Drama Renaissance to 1700. Julie Peters.

Latin: Marital. Kristina Milnor.

Political Science: Gender and International Relations. Eric Blanchard.

Urban Studies: Community Building. Liz Abzug.

History: Making Barnard History. Robert McCaughey.

Philosophy: Persons. Carl Rovane.

Economics: Economics and Philosophy. Brendan O’Flaherty & Philip Kitcher.

English: Grid, Fold, Crystal: Poetic Modeling. Michael Golston.

Film: American Television Drama. Christina Kalogeropoulou.

*Interactive* learning via Shutterstock

• Um says:

@Um no natural science classes?

1. Joker says:

@Joker Yeah becuz only nerds do natural science!

hahaha XD

• seriously? says:

@seriously? Mod tech lab has the best profs ever and Rojas is the funnest in orgo 2. Why all the stem negligence?

@Anonymous you except bwog to know that?

@Anonymous expect, oops

@Anonymous everything you said is true
      buttttttt neither of those courses are offered in the spring? so they wouldn’t make the list anyways?

• hahahahha says:

@hahahahha hahahahahahh do not take american tv drama.

1. ^^^^^ says:

@^^^^^ S0 TRUE. YOU THINK IT’LL BE LOW KEY AND FUN AND INTERESTING.

IT IS NOT.

2. curious george says:

@curious george can you elaborate on why I shouldn’t take the class? is it the grading or the workload or the subject matter itself?

1. also curious says:

@also curious I got really excited about this course upon discovering it, but I’d be really interested in hearing why you/anyone else didn’t like it. Any comments would be super helpful, thanks!

• seas says:

@seas none of this besides econ applies to seas :(

don’t you care about us bwog?

• SEAS Student says:

@SEAS Student Want easy global core please

@Anonymous I need a 1 point non-tech elective. Someone please help!

@Anonymous I need a 1 point non-tech elective. Someone please help!

@Anonymous There aren’t any. Trust me.

2. bio says:

@bio there’s a 2 point course on bioethics

• anonymous says:

@anonymous Milnor teaches a class on Martial–I’m not sure she teaches one on “Marital.”

• English CC'15 says:

@English CC'15 Took a class with Mendelson once. It was the worst English class I’ve ever taken. so bad. If you’re an English major you know how good the department is, don’t waste your time. If you’re not, even more reason to not waste your time.

1. anonymous says:

@anonymous I’m not an English major, but I took one of Mendelson’s classes and I loved it. Not sure why it would be considered the worst.

1. Also English CC'15 says:

@Also English CC'15 He once said something like “the person who hates the class most is the person getting the most out of it.”

2. CC15 says:

@CC15 I’m a senior and I still think Mendelson’s LitHum had more impact on me than any class I’ve taken at Columbia. In a good way.

• F says:

@F Sonam Singh in Barnard’s English department! He only teaches first-year classes right now but if you can pretend to be a first year and pull it off well–maybe he wont notice!

1. also says:

@also sonam singh is actually kinda great tbh

• I recommend says:

@I recommend I recommend Salsa, Soca, Reggae with Chris Washburne!

• also says:

@also Also Peter Bower and Stephanie Pfirman!