Don’t you worry, Barnard; we didn’t forget about housing selection for you! Continuing the tradition for the second year in a row, we bring you the reviews for Barnard dorms! Today, we bring you the chillest of the chill: 616 W. 116 st!
Location: 116 W 116th St. (between Broadway and Riverside)
- Nearby dorms: 600 W, 620 W, Barnard quad, Schapiro, Woodbridge
- Stores and restaurants: Morton Williams and pretty much all the Broadway stores.
- Double: $8,960
- Bathrooms: Each suite has its own bathroom.
- AC/Heating: No AC.
- Kitchen/Lounge: Each suite has a kitchen with a sink, gas stove/oven, and refrigerator. TV lounge on the first floor, also has a piano. Study lounges on upper floors.
- Laundry: In basement.
- Computers/Printers: Computer lab on the first floor.
- Gym: None.
- Intra-transportation: Two elevators and a stairwell.
- Wi-Fi: Yes.
- Hardwood/Carpet: Some linoleum variety.
- Suites have combinations of singles and doubles, with the exception of the RA suites which are all singles.
- Singles are about 135 sq ft and doubles are about 196 sq ft, but should be noted that C2 and D4 rooms are very small.
- Fifth floor is taken by social justice housing.
- Solid choice for rising juniors.
- Unless sophomores have top numbers, it will be difficult to get 616.
- Good choice for people going into groups that don’t mind having a combo of singles and doubles
- 616 is a great option for students who like being close enough to campus that it’s not much of a walk in the morning to the Barnard buildings
- For rising sophomores, 616 is pretty attainable if you have a group
- “Tends to overheat in the winter”
- “Older building means things break a lot”
- “Most of the kitchens are pretty small in size”
- “Doubles are spacious”
- “The laundry room is huge and you usually never have to wait”
- “It’s nice having the computer lab in our building and not having to leave”
- “Some of the doubles have amazing views over Claremont”
- “The only thing better than living in 616 would be 600 because, well, it’s closest to Broadway”
- “Rodents galore”
- “Try and avoid being stuck in a room on the air shaft. No natural light!”