We continue our housing coverage with Hogan, the peaceful giant of Columbia senior housing. If you’re a junior with a great lottery number and a desire to get away from the weekend parties at EC, take a look where you might be living next year!
Location: 566 W. 114th Street. Or, 114th Street, just off of Broadway.
- Nearby dorms: Literally shares an entrance with Broadway. Also: Ruggles, Carman, John Jay, Furnald, all the 114th Street brownstones, and Schapiro (if you cross Broadway).
- Stores and restaurants: Starbucks, Sweetgreen, International, Nussbaum & Wu, Amirs, Häagen Dazs, Strokos, Junzi, Milano.
- Bathrooms: Two per suite! But before you get too excited: one only has a shower, while the other only has a toilet. (Still pretty convenient, though.)
- AC/Heating: Yes to heating, no to AC.
- Lounge: Each suite has a living room, which is fairly spacious; they all come with a couch, comfy chair, dining table, and coffee table (perfect for mounting a TV.) Students also have easy access to the Broadway study lounge, TV lounge, and computer lab.
- Kitchen: One per suite with decent counter space and all the amenities (including a dishwasher!)
- Laundry: One small laundry room on the seventh floor.
- Fire escapes: None.
- Bike storage: One small storage room on the first floor.
- Computers/printers: Computers in the Broadway computer lab, printer in the lobby.
- Gym: None in Hogan itself, but quick access to the gym on the fourth floor of Broadway.
- Intra-transportation: One elevator, pretty reliable.
- Hardwood/carpet: All hardwood and linoleum, except for carpet in the hallways.
- All singles!
- Floors two through six have three 4-person suites and two 5-person suites.
- Floor seven has only one 6-person suite. This suite has possibly the biggest common room of any suite on campus, but you will be living with your RA.
- If you aren’t a senior with an incredible lottery number, your chances are slim.
- 4-Person Suites: 30/1300 (2016), 30/1812 (2017)
- 2 in 4 Person Suite w/ RA: 30/2616 (2016), 30/1811 (2017)
- 5-Person Suites: 30/1322 (2016), 30/2189 (2017)
- 4 in 6 Person Suite w/RA: 30/2826 (2015), 30/1864 (2017)
Hogan has it all: big singles, close proximity to campus, lots of amenities, the vibes of Furnald but the lounge sizes of EC. If you’re a senior with a good lottery number who likes (relative) quiet and can survive without Instagramming pictures of the East Harlem skyline every two weeks, this is the dorm for you.
- “The location and room sizes are great!”
- “I’d live here over EC… EC kinda has a factory feel.”
- “Quieter than EC, which is nice, especially on weekends. But you can still have parties because the RAs don’t really care.”
- “It’s great having a suite with all singles.
- “Broadway has a lot of nice resources, like the computer rooms, the sky lounge, and the gym, which are all really close by.”