Perhaps one of the most conveniently located dorms on campus, Schapiro has nice amenities and decently sized rooms.
- Nearby dorms: Furnald, Woodbridge, 615 West 115th (LINK), River
- Stores and restaurants: The UPS Store, the 115th halal cart, Morton Williams, Starbucks, Ferris, BookCulture, Sweetgreen, Shake Shack, Nussbaum and Wu
Cost: $9,538/year, like all upperclassmen housing
- Bathrooms: Communal bathrooms, one for men and one for women per floor. Also one ADA single occupancy gender neutral bathroom per floor.
- AC/Heating: Has both. Heating can get pretty hot in the winter.
- Kitchen: Large, nice kitchen in each floor lounge.
- Lounge: One on every floor, with a kitchen, TV, and comfy chairs. Also a building lounge on the ground floor, and a sky lounge on the 17th.
- Laundry: Laundry room in basement.
- Computers/Printing: Computer lab and printer on the first floor.
- Fire Escapes: None.
- Gym: None—the old Schapiro fitness room is now the Stephen Donaldson lounge.
- Bike Storage: None
- Intra-transportation: Three fast elevators.
- Hardwood/Carpet: Hardwood, but linoleum in lounge.
- Bonus: Music practice rooms in basement.
- 245 singles, which are pretty reasonably sized.
- 85 doubles, which are also fairly spacious but sometimes oddly shaped.
- Doubles: 10/2659
- Walkthrough Doubles: 10/2842
- Singles: 10/2395, although this is drastically lower than the AY 2016-17 cutoff of 20/1795. Usually only juniors get Schapiro singles.
Schapiro is a solid option for rising juniors who want a single. The location can’t be beat, the rooms are reasonably sized (although not huge), and the lounges are easy to cook in. If you’re a rising sophomore, make sure that the double you’re getting is as big as you think it is. Some have a decent number of square feet, but some of that may not be usable. The laundry room gets crowded during the day. Residents also report some problems with the dryers.
- “The stovetops in my lounge smoke when turned on. Fuck that.”
- “The lounge and kitchen are really spacious and it’s nice to have so many places to do homework.”
- “The sky lounge is alright if you’re into that kinda thing. Nice view from it.”
- “The view from the higher floors is really beautiful!”
- “The showers are small and kinda gross but you can only expect so much from a dorm room.”
- From a particularly disgruntled resident: “It seems to attract people who steal shit.”
- From a less disgruntled resident: “It’s a big floor, so there isn’t a lot of community among floormates.”