Do you hear that? No, listen closer. No, even closer. It’s quiet. But it’s coming. It’s getting louder and louder. It’ll be here sooner than you think. It’s…the beautiful, violent sounds of hundreds of blue bins rolling across campus, carting the fresh IKEA bean bags and Urban Outfitters tapestries of hundreds of new students as they move in to their new dorms. That’s right, NSOP is just around the corner!
The 2018-2019 NSOP schedule was recently released via Guidebook, a handy app that will help all you newbies keep track of your strictly scheduled opportunities for learning and bonding. There’s one schedule on Guidebook for CC and SEAS students, one for Barnard students, and one for GS students – just search to find your school. The theme is “Find Your Groove”. So, get grooving kiddos.
Like last year, this year’s new CC / SEAS students are divided into five mandatory tracks named after the five NYC boroughs: Bronx, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Staten Island, and Queens. Barnard babes are divided into three tracks named after some ‘Nard icons: Milbank, Magnolia, and Millie. Each of the tracks has to complete the same programs and activities, just in a slightly different order.
So what exactly are these events? We’ll keep you updated on which events are mandatory and which are “mandatory” during NSOP, but for now, here are a few highlights.
- Bed Bath & Beyond Excursion + EcoReps Green Sale: These events are both happening a couple of times throughout the week – try to stop by one of each. The Bed Bath & Beyond excursion is a great opportunity to pick up some fun statement pieces and toiletries for your sweet Carman double, and the EcoReps Green Sale is a sustainable and affordable way to grab a pre-loved fridge or textbook.
- Urban New York Lottery: Starting at 10 am on August 27, you can register in the Urban New York Lottery for a chance to win a free ticket to a Broadway show! This is one of those special only-in-New-York opportunities. Register, you won’t regret it.
- Late Night Capture the Flag: August 28 at 10 pm, meet at the Sundial (center of campus – your North Star) for the chance to outrun your new classmates in a game organized by the Residence Hall Leader Organization (RHLO).
- Scoops with Columbia College and Columbia Engineering Staff: Free food! Free food. Free ice cream. Go to Furnald lawn the afternoon of August 29 to grab some free scoops and chat with some of the adults who could shape your time at Columbia.
- gLow up: A time-honored NSOP classic. A ritual, some could say. A rite of passage. On August 29, the four schools will come together for a glow stick party on Low Plaza. Get lit.
- Take Me Out to the Ballgame: New York Yankees vs. Detroit Tigers: Throughout the week, there will be opportunities to pick up free tickets from Lerner Ramps to see the New York Yankees play the Detroit Tigers on August 30th! Bring some new friends, buy some snacks, watch some sports.
- Class of 2022 Photo: Like picture day in high school all over again. Meet your classmates at 1:15 on Low Plaza in your cutest fit.
- JJ’s Opens: On September 1st, there will be a lot of fun neighborhood tours in which OL leaders guide you around New York neighborhoods and show you fun new restaurants. Those don’t matter. Only JJ’s, the delicious dining hall in the basement of John Jay, matters.
See you soon, class of 2022!
Image via Barnard NSOP