Field Notes: Fall Break Edition
This fall break at Bwog, we took a break.
Bwog kept it spooky for a little longer:
- Got concussed, then performed at the village Halloween parade concussed.
- Dressed as: Jack Twist from Brokeback Mountain for Halloween as a power move; Cinderella; that one picture of The Rock from the 90s; slutty Cornell.
- Got mistaken for Paddington (my costume was slutty Coraline, so they got sort of close).
- Dressed as a Barnard dad for Halloween; people thought I was Wayne from Wayne’s World OR a frat boy. Love to see it.
- Did an edible then marched in the Halloween parade.
Bwog escaped the city:
- Visited the great granite state.
- Went to Philly and saw some friends from high school.
- Went home to vote (!!!).
- Rejected society and went to our Managing Editor Zack’s house in Long Island, tasted the suburban life (and slept at normal hours, restoring my immune system).
- Took the LIRR for the first time.
- Took the Metro North for the first time.
- Took some Columbia friends home with me and made them do farm work.
- Went hiking with my very earthy crunchy brother.
- Took the train upstate to visit my boyfriend and the train decided to stop for like half an hour right before my stop???
- Turned 21 finally at Disney World.
- Knitted a lot because that’s all I’m allowed to do.
- Went to the MOMA, The Met, and Storm King.
- Was on the subway when someone hijacked the microphone, who then asked us to add him on Snapchat.
- Said subway decided to skip 116th, so my friend and I had to walk 13 blocks at 9 a.m. after Halloween drinking, where we saw the most beautiful man in existence wearing a crushed velvet green blazer.
- Did not leave my house for the entire break.
- Did not drive the entire time I was home.
- Saw two 10/10 films in theaters (Parasite + The Irishman)
- Went to Florida to visit my grandparents and slept an average of 13 hours a day while I was there.
- Read some bomb poetry on the train.
- Went home, hung out with my cat.
- Tried to learn how to skip rocks, failed.
- Was woken up every time I fell asleep by my siblings or dog.
- Caught the flu from my sixteen-year-old cat.
- Accidentally made my 80-year-old grandpa walk 20 blocks.
- Got into a fight with OpenTable customer service.
- Crammed a Shakespeare play the night before it was due & doesn’t understand any of it.
- Was up past 6 three nights running doing dumb shit; started getting sick as a result of my poor choices.
- Got a shitload of books from Butler stacks and offsite requests for a paper I remain totally unequipped to write.
- Stayed in a Milstein study room for hours watching my friends slowly go insane; threw a bunch of pens across said Milstein study room and it felt great.
Bwog rejected John Jay fall break ‘food’:
- Had the Popeyes chicken sandwich.
- Lied that I was a writer at the Atlantic to get a table at a fully booked restaurant.
- Went to the airport Whataburger at 3 PM to get a honey butter chicken biscuit (God’s gracious gift to this universe) and realized the breakfast menu wasn’t out yet :(
- Made dumplings in the Carman lounge with my friends.
Bwog had special moments:
- Went back to the U.K. to surprise my mum and she almost fainted with shock.
- My dad came to visit! Had champagne on the Hudson – very lovely <3
- Baked so much cake with my best friend.
- Walked my dog :))) he was happy to see me :)))
- Drove!!!! omg I missed driving!!
- Went to the zoo and learned that they use traffic cones as masks to anesthetize toucans because it’s the only thing that’ll fit their beaks!!!
…or the popular alternative:
- Pondered existential dread.
95% of us via Bwog Archives