This recipe is adapted from the Greenmarket’s recipe for spicy simmered eggs with kale.
Sometimes, you just want to invite two pescetarian friends over for dinner and make them something nice. This is the perfect recipe for that. I got the recipe for spicy simmered eggs with kale from the Broadway Greenmarket, but the original recipe is more of a breakfast recipe: too light for dinner. It only really has eggs, kale, and green onions, and not enough hot pepper. So I added potatoes and shrimp for a real dinner that was absolutely delicious. The following recipe will serve two or three people.
- One bunch kale, roughly chopped
- Two small potatoes or one large one, chopped
- One big teaspoon of minced garlic
- Half a medium onion, chopped
- Two tablespoons of unsalted butter
- One cup of vegetable broth
- One egg per person (or more, as you wish)
- Salt, black pepper, ground red pepper, hot red pepper flakes, smoked paprika
- A handful of shrimp (optional)
- Melt the butter in a pan (I used a stainless steel skillet).
- Sauté the onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Add the chopped kale: the original recipe says to add half first then the other half, I did a handful at a time.
- Add the cup of vegetable broth, the chopped potatoes, and the shrimp. If you want to make this extra good, you could sear the shrimp in a separate pan and add it at the end, but that was too much effort for me. Season with salt, black pepper, ground red pepper, and smoked paprika to taste.
- Cover and cook until the kale is soft and the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Make small indentations in the kale for the eggs. I made three, because I had three eggs, but obviously make as many as the number of eggs you’re using.
- Crack the eggs in the indentations and sprinkle with more black pepper and hot red pepper flakes. Cover and cook until the eggs are done to your liking.
- I served with toasted baguette and blue cheese on the side and it was awesome. Enjoy!
Kale and eggs via Youngweon Lee