Staff Writer Alyse Rovner alongside New Bwoggers Leah Sandler and Annie Hagerty try oat milk lattes from all 3 Joe Coffee Company storefronts on Columbia’s campus and are here to tell you which one is the best.
Each latte will be judged for its appearance, taste, aroma, mouthfeel, milk to coffee ratio, quality of foam, and will be given a final score out of 5 punches on a Joe’s coffee punchcard (pictured below). Additionally, each latte will be comprehensively described via a song paralleling how the coffee made us feel. Note: All lattes were $5.25.
Joe’s Journalism or Pulizter Hall (2950 Broadway Pulitzer Hall, New York, NY 10027)
- Appearance: This cup is the influencer of the group – trendy with a photogenic and symmetrical foam heart. I think this cup just offered me its discount code.
- Taste: This latte was buttery and the creaminess remained constant. The taste was not as aggressive as the others. Subtlety is key.
- Aroma: Notes of a calm morning. You’re in Monterey dropping your kids off at school. The fog has just cleared, you’re in your Buick, and you just got away with murder. This drink exudes Big Little Lies Energy.
- Mouthfeel: There was a pleasant aftertaste, and the coffee was smooth and creamy.
- Milk-to-coffee ratio: It was the perfect ratio. The Meryl Streep of the group.
- Quality of foam: The foam was soft and silky with barely visible needlepoint bubbles. It looked like a work of art.
- Other notes: Happiness and joy achieved. Audible noise confirmed.
- Anthem: At Last by Etta James or alternatively Cold Little Heart (radio edit) by Michael Kiwanuka
- Alyse: 4.7 /5 punches
- Annie: 5 / 5 punches
- Leah: 5 / 5 punches
Joe’s Dodge Hall (2960 Broadway 305 Dodge Hall, New York, NY 10027)
- Appearance: This latte had an indistinct, small heart concentrated in the center of the cup. The milk was less prevalent in the design and there was no spiraling effect. (Note: they did not write oat latte on the cup signaling that they relied on memory or quite possibly the memory of Alyse’s daily order).
- Taste: Initially, the taste was a little bitter but in a pleasant way. The flavor developed with each sip and improved with time. The drink was earthy and bold.
- Aroma: This aroma was not as homey. It slapped you on the back instead of hugging you.
- Mouthfeel: This one was much hotter. The heat was initially aggressive on our throats and the consistency was THICC with two Cs.
- Milk-to-coffee ratio: There was slightly more coffee than milk visible to the eye; however, this did not impact the taste.
- Quality of foam: There was less foam this time around; however, the foam still had a good amount of froth.
- Other notes: This is what you need before your 8:40 am class.
- Anthem: I love Kanye by Kanye West
- Alyse: 5 /5 punches
- Annie: 3.8 / 5 punches
- Leah: 3.8 / 5 punches
Joe’s Northwest Corner Building (550 W 120th St, New York, NY 10027)
- Appearance: This latte featured a sleek heart design with an endearing spiral that perfectly contrasted the brown coffee and white oat milk.
- Taste: The latte was light, airy, and subtly smokey. It was both bitter and sweet, perfectly balanced. The beans tasted heavily roasted, exuding a simultaneously strong yet creamy taste.
- Aroma: Notes of homey, cozy yet spacious, and classy flavors.
- Mouthfeel: The latte had a pleasantly bitter after-taste that left us wanting more…more water or more coffee.
- Milk-to-coffee ratio: The milk to coffee ratio was just right, having the perfect amount of foam–clearly not a Cappuccino–as it maintained the authenticity of a latte.
- Quality of foam: The foam had varying levels of texture. The foam bubbles had an aesthetically pleasing appearance.
- Other notes: A perfect 3 pm pick me up.
- Anthem: Rehab by Amy Winehouse
- Alyse: 4 /5 punches
- Annie: 4.3 / 5 punches
- Leah: 4.5 / 5 punches
Disclaimer: All of our reviews are subject to change per barista at each location. Additionally, Joe’s is a superior coffee establishment, and we want to preface by saying all lattes were extremely tasty. But as a news organization, we have the responsibility to report on the key differences we saw so that you can make an educated decision as to which Joe’s you want your latte from on a given day.
way too many oat milk lattes via over-caffeinated Bwogger