Pop a Lactaid, and let’s grill.
I believe that a grilled cheese sandwich is the most perfect food in the world. Today, I present the basic grilled cheese but feel free to add anything you like: tomatoes, bacon, basil, caramelized onions, etc. Let this sandwich be the vehicle for something you would rather be eating instead. If you need more convincing, consider some of the many admirable qualities of grilled cheese lovers.
You will need:
Bread (white bread is the best choice, always)
Cheese of your choice (I used a shredded jack/cheddar blend, and parmesan. Shredded cheese melts more evenly than sliced. )
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Apply mayonnaise to both sides of two slices of bread. I don’t care if you don’t like mayonnaise. It is the secret to crispy bread. This is a pro tip from my granny, so don’t let her down.
- Place one slice of bread in the pan. Sprinkle on your cheese(s).
- Cover with a lid that fits snugly around the sandwich. Cook for approximately 3 minutes, or until the cheese melts and the bread is sufficiently toasty.
- Flip the sandwich, and sprinkle extra cheese on the top. Replace the lid, and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Cut your grilled cheese diagonally and enjoy with the condiments of your choice!
Grilled cheese via Eliza Staples