This weekend was the annual CUPAL Kickoff and Bwog could not be more jazzed about student art!
This past Friday, the Columbia University Performing Arts League (CUPAL) brought together representatives from a large majority of performing arts groups on campus to present their plans for the Fall 2021 season. CUPAL is currently in the process of developing a strong alumni network aiming to connect current students with Columbia graduates currently working in the performing arts industry in New York via networking events, discussion panels, and an online platform. We compiled a list of all upcoming audition and interview information for all you art-lovers who missed the meeting! All contact information for the groups listed can be found here!
NOTE: Auditions and interviews for KCST, CMTS, CUP, NOMADS, and BTE will be held together on September 13th, 14th, and 16th from 7:30 to 10:30 in Hamilton Hall.
- NOMADS – NOMADS will be producing one mainstage play, Scars of Metamorphosis by Anjali Ramakrishnan, and will be holding auditions and interviews during the CUPAL timeslots. Additionally, applications for the Spring 2022 NOMADS’ playwriting workshop, Wordplay, will open halfway through the Fall semester.
- Black Theatre Ensemble (BTE) – BTE will be producing a production of Once on This Island projected to run from December 2-4 with auditions and interviews held during the CUPAL timeslots. They are also preparing a 22-hour musical entitled High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Musical! from Oct. 8-9th, those interested should contact BTE directly through email or DM.
- Columbia Musical Theatre Society (CMTS) – This season, CMTS will be presenting a production of The Rocky Horror Picture Show (rights pending) and will be holding auditions and interviews during the CUPAL timeslots.
- King’s Crown Shakespeare Troupe (KCST) – KCST will be presenting one mainstage show, Macbeth, and an anthology of scenes entitled ShakeScenes. Auditions and interviews for both productions will be held during the CUPAL timeslots.
- Columbia University Players (CUP) – CUP will be presenting a mainstage December production of The Dead, 1904 and will be holding auditions and interviews during the CUPAL timeslots. Additonally, they will be hosting a murder mystery festival in October with more information about how to participate to come.
- Latenite – Auditions for actors and directors for Latenite’s annual student-written play anthology will be occurring in the first week of October with the performance tenatively scheduled for early December. Playwrights can submit pieces up until October 4th.
- XMAS! – XMAS! auditions are to be announced, but will likely occur soon in late September!
- The Varsity Show (VEESH) – Auditions and interviews for the 128th Annual Varsity Show will be held at the end of the semester in preperation for the Spring 2022 show.
- Columbia Circus Collective – This new club is planning on hosting a showcase in October as well as inviting guest teachers to host open workshops throughout the semester. Contact them directly for more information!
- Orchesis – Orchesis will be hosting their Zoom “auditons” on September 18th at 12:30 pm for their December show, all who audition will be cast!
- Columbia University Ballroom Dance Club – While there are no official auditions for CU Ballroom, their introductory class will occur on September 27th at 10 pm in the Lerner Party Space.
- Sabor – CUSabor will be hosting a workshop on September 14th from 8 to 10 pm outside behind Avery.
- Columbia Ballet Collective (CBC) – CBC will be presenting their bi-annual showcase of student and guest choreography. Auditions will occur in Barnard Dance Studio 1 on September 19th from 3 to 5 pm.
- Columbia University Woodwind Ensemble (CUWE) – Auditions for wind, brass, and percussionists are TBA, but CUWE is still planning on rehearsing on Monday evenings for their annual concert.
- New Opera Workshop (NOW) – NOW will be performing a series of reperatory scenes with auditions occuring on September 19th from 4-6 pm in Dodge Hall.
Another Acronym via the CUPAL Kickoff Facebook Event