Great Moments in Chinglish

Overseas Bwog correspondent Nick Frisch found this gem of a translation in People’s Square, Shanghai, China.

Quoth the adventurer: “Want to make a lot of money in China? Forget econ; just major in English.”

• nbf says:

@nbf just to nitpick: china’s a big place with many people’s squares. this one’s in shanghai.

• nbf says:

@nbf 殿堂(hall)
    名人(famous person/people)
    环球(around-world)
    巨星(big star)

“Hall of Famous People Who Are Great Stars Around the World”

or more colloquially, maybe

“International Superstar Hall”

The just translated both of two related words into “famous,” one as an adjective and one as a noun. but it’s less funny once you dissect it.

• ChiComm says:

@ChiComm I hate always heard such mispronounciations described as “engrish” where “chinglish”

• me says:

@me will someone who can read that tell us what it says?

• shira says:

@shira I assume this is funnier if you can read Chinese…

1. I mean, says:

@I mean, It’s actually funny either way really, but perhaps funnier if you can read Chinese even though it’s not completely necessary.

1. So says:

@So could you translate the Chinese?

1. Well, says:

@Well, I didn’t say that I could read it, just that I see the humor in it even though I can’t.

criminally underrated. takes me back lol (read more)
    Columbia University Marching Band To Dissolve Following Anonymous Confessions
    September 21, 2020
    wow this was really helpful. especially the tip where my mom varges in and says obama js in the phone. (read more)
    How To Impress Your Class Crush On Zoom
    September 21, 2020
    Meanwhile, back in REALITY: "Shootings are way up in many cities, e.g., NYC shootings are up 95%. But NYC murders (read more)
    Big Problems: Making Sense Of 2020 With Roxane Gay