BWOG EXCLUSIVE: Barnard All-Star Commencement Features Bloomberg and Remnick

This year Barnard’s Class Day speakers will include New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, New Yorker editor David Remnick, famed tennis player Billie Jean King, and organizer of Harlem Head Start programs Thelma C. Davidson Adair

Bwog just ran into outgoing BC President Laura Stoffel who could hardly contain her excitement. Expect a more official announcement from Barnard in the next few days.

Worry not jealous Columbians: Luckily, there are going to be unlimited BC class day tickets this year.

@Anonymous One word: Guh?

The only possible explanation I have for this is that Columbia is stoopid.

• I says:

@I Wow. Columbia College just got pwned.

• snap! says:

@snap! Dear mark johnson,
    there’s your goal. Do not fail.
    love,
    09er

• cc. says:

@cc. why the FUCK do we have to get JOEL FUCKING KLEIN… a FUCKING NOBODY

this sucks

• bc senior says:

@bc senior i dont want MEN speaking at my commencement!

• just says:

@just means they’ll have to a lot of speeches. Some good, but most likely they’ll be generic.

• alexw says:

@alexw Columbia College = completely buttzowned.

• ......... says:

@......... Hmm… I wonder if they are Barnard alums.

• dayum says:

@dayum i think barnard 08 assed kick cc08 cause it was just tooo easy.

cc 09 council better get their asses working. don’t fuck it up assholes.

• Anyone know says:

@Anyone know Who the GS speaker is?

• sas says:

@sas So Mayor Bloomberg wuz a Barnard alum?

• hmm says:

@hmm not exactly an inspiring example to barnard girls. “if you were a charter member of the patriarchy and went to harvard/princeton like we did, you too can succeed!”

1. EAL says:

@EAL That’s not the point. They’re supposed to MARRY said members of the patriarchy.

LOLZ

• ... says:

@... GS speaker is Alicia Graf:

I think it’s good that they went with someone closely connected to the school that probably shares a similar experience to many of the students there as opposed to reaching out to big name politician for the hell of it.

Here’s a bio:

I bet she gives a good speech.

1. yeah well says:

@yeah well I bet she gives more than a good speech.

yeah. sorry. had to go there. it was too easy

2. i saw says:

@i saw alicia graf perform with alvin ailey–she’s fantastic! one of my favorite dancers in the group. too bad i’m in cc.

• ZvS says:

@ZvS The CC class speaker works for the Barnard class speaker. Just sayin’.

Anyway, as an engineer, who the hell is OUR class day speaker? How long does it take to find somebody with a slide rule?

1. Jax says:

@Jax Haha, I know Izaz Rony, the hired photographer. Great guy.

• haha says:

@haha oh snap! This is awesome!

• SEAS says:

@SEAS has anyone heard about the SEAS class day speaker?

• heres the thing says:

@heres the thing there’s very little the cc 09 council can do with the limits placed on them. Getting someone to speak that is 1) A CC graduate(or related to a current student) and 2) willing to come and speak for free is not an easy thing to do. Don’t yell at them to find someone good, rather suggest revising the policy or something.

1. the Man '07 says:

@the Man '07 Also, 3) they must not have spoken at class day in the past 10 years

• hey bwog says:

@hey bwog What’s the source for this?

• XJE says:

@XJE Assuming the “liberal elite/america haters/ahmedinejad lovers” tag is keeping Obama from visiting CU, we should have a better chance of getting him for May ’09, once the election is safely over.

Failing that, I bet we could convince Vampire Weekend to deliver the Class Day speech.

1. yuck says:

@yuck Please, no.

2. Haha! says:

@Haha! By that time, he won’t be nearly as famous anymore…

• the source says:

@the source is laura stoffel. It’s in the post

• amen says:

@amen Jesus for class speaker ’10!

spread the word

@Anonymous CC got deaded….too bad you guys cant get a legit class speaker. fuckin sucks

• there are some says:

@there are some really attractive girls in CCSC 08′. Never noticed.

• SEAS Class Day says:

@SEAS Class Day Good question. The SEAS ’08 council had the choice of picking this year’s Class Day speaker; no idea who they chose and/or the status on getting him/her…

• Uhh says:

@Uhh I imagine you’ll discover soon, Bwog, that some of these people are getting awards and one –tops two– are speaking. It was probably easier to get people because it’s Shapiro’s last year, so people like Bloomberg will want to honor her.

• cc8 says:

@cc8 I thought after last year’s controversy over matt fox, CCSC would be sure to get someone good this year. Looks like I was wrong.

CCSC, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

1. cc07 says:

@cc07 I was one of the people seriously disappointed in the choice of Matt Fox as our class day speaker, but he turned out to be an awesome choice; he was more inspiring and entertaining than the bookish famous intellectual who bored everyone at my sister’s graduation…just because they’re accomplished academically or politically doesn’t make them a good class day speaker

• annoying gs student says:

@annoying gs student hey bwog —

any gssc election results?

• The color was blue. says:

@The color was blue. Bwog,

Why can’t 301 Butler be open all year?

Why are people still camping? I understand the phenomenon of being overwhelmed with work. But I carry my books, my folders, and my computers with me to and from campus. I find space when I need it, and relinquish it when I’m done. Why the hell is everyone else so thoughtless?

1. camping out... says:

@camping out... We’re working on 301 Butler; stay tuned, we’re also working on opening up classroom space (that is suitable enough for study space) as well…

And yes, I share you anger among ppl camping out; you now have the right to move ppl’s stuff, and if you feel uncomfortable moving it, ask a librarian to help you with it.

sshah
      univ senate

• woops says:

@woops looks like BC ’08 and the BC commencement committee got a lil smack down goin’ on. Utoh.

See you all on May 20th. :)

• cc09 says:

@cc09 bloomberg and klein? jews for the win!

• good for bc... says:

@good for bc... who’s officially in charge of CC’s class day speaker — is it the entire council, or the members in CC ’08? Whoever it is, they must be getting a world of shit right now.

They’re getting Bloomberg, the editor of the New Yorker, and Billie Jean King, and the best we can do is Joel Klein? This is like a bad joke. Congrats to Barnard; way to blow it big time CCSC.

• Bethmann-Hollweg says:

@Bethmann-Hollweg CC appears to be run by literal mongs if the best we can do is get Joel “Who are you?” Klein.

This whole episode is a fucking disgrace.

• too bad says:

@too bad for barnard that commencement speakers are not necessarily an indication of the prestige or calibre of an educational institution!

1. BC 09 says:

@BC 09 Bitter elitism is super attractive! Do you really feel the need to reassert your self-worth any time that Barnard (gasp) gets a sweeter deal?

• BC Alum says:

@BC Alum We don’t call it Class Day at Barnard.

The others (Billie Jean King, David Remnick, et al) are medalists but not speakers.

@Anonymous I’d take Joel Klein over my graduation speaker: Juan Gonzalez, a C-list Daily News columnist who happened to be expelled from the College in 1968 for being too radical. Or speaking too much truth to power. Or something. Lame.

• bc 08 says:

@bc 08 Here, here BC 09! Seriously now, #43. One can only be a hater for so long. Every dog has its day, right? At least you get to attend, should you wish to celebrate the (gasp) accomplishment of your peers :)

• CC'09 says:

@CC'09 Mark Johnson better get someone notable or I’ll piss on him.