Today, as you sit in your lecture and scour the internet for something, anything, to distract you, Bwog suggests browsing the treasure trove of old time-y Morningside Heights and Columbia campus photographs here. Aside from the terrifying image on the right, one can find dozens of pictures of a Columbia your blessed legacy-bearing great-grandparents told you about, including South Field as football field, Low rising from some sort of forest-y marshland, and, more recently, Philip Petit on the high wire above St. John the Divine. Harken back to the days where you could park on College Walk, and marvel at the 1990 plans for East Campus Towers and the never-built Riverside Park Stadium.
The website was created by West 112th Street Block Association in 1996 and is maintained by Barbara Hohol, Jack Arbo and Ian Fletcher, who have collected and taken many of the site’s pictures. If class still drags on and Facebook hasn’t provided a status update for minutes, look at the list of the Heights’ famous residents. Like, Dustin Hoffman lived on 109th Street! That’s, like, the same street as Obama!
@blah blah There was life back in the day, lol. funny to look at now.
Guys theres is a new blog, check it out
@wtf Dude, come on!
@well hello, tao tan.
@some other photos 1) http://www.wikicu.com/images/3/3d/MapesGate.jpg This gate stood where the service entrance by Levien Gym (now closed off by construction on the ISB) on Broadway and about 119th is today.
2) http://www.wikicu.com/Commencement Some great old pictures of commencement here
3) http://www.wikicu.com/images/6/69/CollegeStudy.jpg A long gone study/lounge in Hamilton Hall for college students
4) http://www.wikicu.com/Revson_Plaza Pictures of Revson Plaza (the amsterdam ave bridge) being built
5) http://www.wikicu.com/Ferris_Booth_Hall Ferris Booth Hall – the building before Lerner
6) http://www.wikicu.com/Image:MuddOld.jpg Mudd Hall, before they built Fairchild.
7) http://www.wikicu.com/Image:Ike.jpgPrezIke at Commnecement
8) http://www.wikicu.com/University_Hall Pictures of University Hall, the building demolished to make way for Uris. Check out what the Blue Gym used to look like in the image gallery.
@oops #7 should have said “PrezIke at Commencement” and linked here: http://www.wikicu.com/Image:Ike.jpg
We’ve put up a lot of images on WikiCU. Like what Rockefeller Center used to look like before it got developed: http://www.wikicu.com/Upper_Estate
just click around!
@here actually http://www.shorpy.com/Columbia-University
@amazing pictures thanks
@this is a way cooler picture
@This is so fucking cool. Great pics.
@For Shame How dare you! Obama’s terrorist friends tried to blow up Dustin Hoffman in Greenwich Village. And you dare relate the greatest actor ever with an unrepentant America-hater? For shame!
@yeah None of you know fitzgerald, assholes! How dare you judge him! He was a great writer who rarely hit his wife. You panzy-ass rich ipod-listening white kids are real douchebags.
@Disgraceful Why? because fitzgerald also drank himself to death? Real subtle bwog. or should i say: REAL INSENSITIVE
@James We’ve removed the reference.