Cooking With Bwog 2.0: Eat Something Good Before Exams
Written by Bwog Staff
Bwog’s rave-reviewed collaboration with the Culinary Club known as Cooking With Bwog 2.0 continues. On the menu this week: Avocado Crab Salad for the main course with Poached Pears for dessert.
Juice of 1 lime
4 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. finely chopped jalepeno
3 tbsp. chopped cilantro
½ tbsp. honey
1 garlic clove, minced
Seven Seas (or Indian if need be) Curry powder (about 1 tsp.)
Salt and pepper
¾ lb. lump crab meat
2 avocados, diced
Diced red onion
Red Tomato slices
1. Combine lime juice, olive oil, jalepeno, cilantro, honey, garlic, curry powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Mix in crab meat with the dressing.
2. Mix avocado and red onion together in a small bowl.
3. Arrange the salad in a cup with avocado-onion mixture on the bottom, the crab on top, and tomatoes fanned on the side of the dish. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
(Serves: 8, Time: 45 minutes)
¾ C brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp. cloves
4 Bosc pears (from the Farmer’s Market), halved and cored (and preferably skinned)
¼ C butter, melted
1/3 C cream
4 oz. white chocolate
1. Mix sugar and spices together in a bowl. Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray. Place pear halves, cut-side up, in the dish. Drizzle with butter and sprinkle with sugar mixture.
2. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Half-way through, spoon brown sugar juices over the pears.
3. Bring cream just to a boil in a saucepan and remove from heat. Stir in white chocolate until melted.
4. Serve pears with white chocolate glaze.
Foodie events of the week:
1. Free Rosé Tasting on Saturday, May 1, from 4-7 pm at Le Du’s Wines, 600 Washington Street.
2. Brooklyn Uncorked 2010—a tasting of foods from Manhattan, Brooklyn, and the Hudson Valley along with wines from Long Island—is on Wednesday, May 5, from 4-8 pm at BAMcafé (30 Lafayette Avenue, Fort Green, Brooklyn).
3. Classes at the Macy’s Kitchen:
- Cinco de Mayo class with Executive Chef Miguel Espinoza on Saturday, May 1, at 1 pm.
- Mexican cooking with Chef Juan Rosas Campos of Mama Mexico on Tuesday, May 4, at 1 pm.