Before some students even know where they’ll live next year or have taken their last “midterm,” in an email sent out tonight, Housing wants you to know your time is almost up. Here are some important dates and times to keep in mind when preparing to move out:
- 24 hours – This is how much time non-seniors have after their last exam to move out.
- Saturday, May 15, noon – The last possible check-out time for non-seniors.
- Tuesday, May 18, 10:30 am – Commencement!
- Wednesday, May 19, 5 pm – The last possible check-out time for seniors.
Moving out is a bittersweet process for everyone: Carmanites will realize they’ll never have it as good, those shafted have just started to become fond of it (really), and seniors will soon be thrown out into the “real world” or something–you know, what college was supposed to be after high school.
So start dusting that room, tidy up, and join Bwog in celebrating (see the counter in the top-left!) that the end is so close yet so far. Housing’s full email after the jump.
Check-out time is fast approaching! Just a quick reminder that non-Seniors must check out of their rooms within 24 hours of their last final exam, but no later than 12 noon on Saturday, May 15, and Seniors must check out by 5pm on Wednesday, May 19. You may leave earlier if you wish, but please be advised that there are no refunds for early departure.
MAKE YOUR CHECK-OUT ARRANGEMENTS NOW! (If you haven’t already.)
1) Be aware of this year’s graduation schedule. There are ceremonies taking place on Friday, May 14, from 2:00 – 5:00 p.m. and on Saturday, May 15, from 2:00 – 5:00 p.m. Check-Out during these times will be possible, but may be much more difficult due to restricted bin use and traffic in some areas. Specifically, bins will not be allowed on the main campus at these times. Throughout the Check-Out process, please be considerate of others and mindful of the events and ceremonies taking place on campus.
2) Find somewhere to stash your stuff. Storage options are listed on the Housing website at http://www.columbia.edu/cu/housing/docs/returning_students/storage.html.
3) Donate stuff you don’t want anymore! Give + Go Green drop-off locations make it easy. Find out more by visiting http://www.columbia.edu/cu/housing/docs/begreen/ggg.html.
4) Make sure you’ve got a ride home.
5) Clean your room! Remember that the clear plastic bags distributed by Facilities are for trash only, not for personal belongings. You will not be compensated for personal items that are thrown out by Facilities.
6) Let your RA know when you are leaving.
7) Bring your signed Check-Out envelope, with any room keys inside of the envelope, to the nearest Express Check-Out Box located at the security guard desk of each building or at the Hartley Hospitality Desk. If you use your Columbia University ID Card as your key, you still need to return a signed, but empty, Check-Out envelope to an Express Check-Out Box to check out properly and avoid Check-Out fees.
Please review the full Check-Out information on the Housing website at http://www.columbia.edu/cu/housing/docs/returning_students/checkout/index.html.
You are responsible for all of this information, especially as it pertains to loss/damage charges and late Check-Out fees. Remember that if you do not leave your room and Check-Out by the scheduled time, you will be charged a late Check-Out fee of $100 for the first hour and $50 for each additional hour. This INCLUDES a late Check-Out through the Express Check-Out Box.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or feel free to stop by the Customer Service Center (Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) or the Hospitality Desk (24/7), both located in Hartley Hall.
Best of luck with the remainder of the school year!
Image via Flickr/seanbonner