Senior Wisdom: Megan McNally
Written by Bwog Staff
Claim to fame: Barnard EcoRep, and apparently I bought a house? (Clearly not in NY since no one can even afford to own a windowless, rat/cockroach infested basement studio let alone a house)
Where are you going? Fulfilling my childhood fascination with NASA and being an astronaut. I’m off to New Mexico to build earthships! Like spaceships, only built out of tires and glass, and 100% off the grid. After that? Vermont for the ski/board season.
Three things you learned at Columbia:
- No matter what, go outside if it snows in NYC. That’s probably the first AND the last snow you’ll see all season, so might as well enjoy building forts and whipping snowballs and unsuspecting passersby.
- Barnard recycles #1-7 plastics. Weird.
- As much as I love learning, I am not an academic.
Justify your existence in 30 words or fewer:
My name is Megan,
I make things from trash to art,
Take it or leave it?
…How’s that for haiku-style.
Any war stories from the War on Fun? The security guy in Butler will not stop you if you walk into the library in a blow-up leprechaun suit.
Would you rather give up oral sex or cheese? …for a second I thought the choice was between oral sex and chess, so my first thought was chess because I don’t know how to play that game. But oral sex or cheese? Smoked gouda is outta this world good! I could never give it up.
Any advice for the Class of 2014?
- Get involved in the community beyond the ivory tower.
- Apply for study grants and travel grants because surprisingly few people apply for them.
- Butler = death. I think I spent .2 minutes there once looking for a book…now I send my friends in for me. Avery is much better.
- Barnard and Columbia both have composting (somewhere), but if the bins are full…bring it to Union Sq at the lower east side ecology center van.
Any regrets? Not getting a pink scooter from Book Culture on Broadway. Though I hear they’re back in stock?