Farewell, Amy the HamDel Lady

Bwog’s love for HamDel is no secret, but our long-term relationship with Amy the HamDel Lady certainly surpasses any fling we’ve had with a specially sauced Lewinsky. For that reason, it is with great sorrow that we now report to you that our darling Amy has left HamDel for good. For the past week, we’d been missing Amy’s judge-free service during our 2 am sandwich runs, so this morning, we called the deli to find out where Amy had disappeared to. We’re told that Amy left HamDel a week ago after securing a “better job,” i.e. one that didn’t require her to stay up all night catering to the cravings of drunken college students.

While we can’t say we blame Amy for her choice, HamDel just won’t be the same without her. Join us in our celebration of this most lovely of neighborhood fixtures, and leave your favorite Amy memories in the comments!

• Amanda says:

@Amanda She always called me sweetie. (I think she called everyone this.) Such a lovely person. LOVE HER.

@Anonymous My heart goes out to her. She was the most non-judgmental and caring cashier I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing. When I went through my late-at-night milkshake phase, she always just gave me that look, her “you’re alright, yeah?” look and we would chat. Hope she has all the success in the world. Kind of upset I didn’t get to say thanks or goodbye.

• oh no! says:

@oh no! but seriously I’m so happy for her that she’s moving on to a job where she hopefully won’t have to be on her feet at crazy hours of the night

• cc '11 says:

@cc '11 THANK YOU FOR THE DUTCHES AND THE PEACH GUMMY RINGS! i already miss you.

• best idea ever says:

@best idea ever Can we get her mail address and get everyone to sign a huge thank you card?

@Anonymous YES PLEASE!

• Trouble says:

@Trouble …I’m unbelievably happy for Amy but I AM SO SAD FOR COLUMBIA! Also, she nicknamed me Trouble and it was the most endearing thing ever. This is actually a tragedy. I’m waiting for HamDel profits and finals grades to plummet as a result of the Amy’s absence.

• Are y'all says:

@Are y'all kidding?! She’s a sweetie but she also jacked prices upppp when i wasn’t sober and sometimes when i was. Hopefully the guys will keep things fair

1. uhhhh says:

@uhhhh GTFO

@Anonymous i’ve never seen so many thumbs down before…

• CC'13 says:

@CC'13 this is both the saddest and the happiest…i will really miss her, she was always so sweet and genuinely caring, she was like an aunt. that being said, our last few conversations were about how she was only getting about 3 hours of sleep with that job. i’m so glad that she found something that works better for her.

i will miss you amy!!! whether it was bagels or condoms you were the sweetest and never ever judged.

• bittersweet says:

@bittersweet This woman was seriously one of the nicest people I’ve met during my time here, truly an Amsterdam angel. I’m sad to her her leave, but happy she is off to bigger and better things. BEST WISHES AMY! XOXO!

• nostalgic senior says:

@nostalgic senior AMY FOR CLASS DAY SPEAKER! she probably knows us better than most people.

• young alum says:

@young alum I am deeply saddened by this news.
    I have a ham del card with 9 stamps on it. I wish I could have gotten that final stamp from her. When I lived in godforsaken Wien, she was a daily ray of sunshine.
    I bought a beer from her on my 21st birthday.

But srls, glad to hear she’s moving on! I’d vote her ass to the white house for real.

@Anonymous Who will know my sloppy fries with extra cheese and side of ranch order by heart now?!

1. Do you know says:

@Do you know about the obesity epidemic?

@Anonymous I am the obesity epidemic.

@Anonymous DAmy was half the reason I’m currently addicted to HamDel. She made going there so pleasant, and never judged me for getting 3 times as much food as was necessary when I went there high at 1am. But I have to say I’m happy for her, hopefully she’s working normal hours and making plenty of money, we all know she deserves it. I just wish I could have hugged her goodbye :(

• really invested here says:

@really invested here LIAARRRRRRRR HOW DARE YOU MAKE ME PRESS CAPS LOCK TO YELL AT YOU LIKE THIS IN FRONT OF EVERYONE THAT WOMAN IS A SAINT

1. oops says:

@oops that was for the grey comment guy above

recaptcha is really hard. I failed three times

@Anonymous Are you sure you’re not a robot?

• Sad Sophomore says:

@Sad Sophomore Not only is she one of the most inspiring women I have had the chance to meet, but her scarf always matched her eyeliner, without fail. I admit I was impressed.

1. truth says:

@truth Two weekends ago, drunk off our butts, my roomate and I slurring told Amy how pretty she was and how her eyeshadow matched her headscarf. She put up with all of it like the sweetie she is. I miss her already!

@Anonymous HOOP THERE IT IS

(like this if you know what it refers to)

@Anonymous Who? I’ve only bought HamDel twice in the past three years…

1. Truth says:

@Truth You don’t go to Columbia.

@Anonymous she always knew I wanted sloppy fries on drunk nights.

• vitaminc says:

@vitaminc great song

• Butler Dweller says:

@Butler Dweller Amy, you were my ray of hope during those Butler all-nighters. You will always have a special place in my heart, and I wish there were more people like you in this world.

• Noooo says:

@Noooo I still owed her 50 cents for pickles.

• FACK says:

@FACK IM MOVING THE FUCK OUT OF HERE NOW

• She told me! says:

@She told me! She works at Mario’s Deli on 106th and Amsterdam from 2pm-midnight! Go say hi!

• Amy hamdel lady says:

@Amy hamdel lady I love all of you, I miss you too so much and really thanks a lot foy you feeling

• Amyy hamdel says:

@Amyy hamdel My email. Amyy@windowslive.com. I love u so much

1. Encouraged says:

@Encouraged Encouraged to see that Amy still keeps the 2am hours! Miss ya.

• noooo says:

@noooo this is worse than when emma watson chose brown over columbia. but actually sad.

one wasted night i talked to her about an ex-girlfriend of mine, after which she provided really comforting words (from what i can remember) and talked about her ex-fiancee. amy is one of the best people i’ve met in nyc, so open and not full of shit. you will be missed!

• anon says:

@anon have you seen the replacement in-training? you’ve got to be kidding me..

@Anonymous She remembers all her frequent customers. She makes pleasant conversation, regardless of the hour or the state you’re in. She has kind words for you if you’re sad, and laughs along with you when you’re happy. Just having such a wonderful person behind the counter made me more inclined to go to HamDel, even or rainy or snowy nights. She’s an honest cashier who never tried to pull the wool over your eyes; she looked out for her customers. Amy, if you ever read this, know that the students of Columbia will sorely miss your presence, and that we wish you all the best in your new endeavor. Much love.

• cc12 says:

@cc12 Not ready for this song

• so sad says:

@so sad caring for my drunken needs in undergrad and now in grad school. amy, you’re the best! good luck with all your future endeavors.

@Anonymous Having been going to ham del for over 6 years and I’m still an undergrad, this is without a doubt a much bigger loss to Columbia than that of Dean Adams or Dean Quigley. She was the heartbeat of morningside heights

• not sure if you read bwog says:

@not sure if you read bwog but youre fucking awesome, amy. best of luck in your future endeavors

@Anonymous I MISS YOU ALREADY, AMY!

@Anonymous SHE CALLED ME HER HABIBI. I’ll miss her like hell.

• Seriously? says:

@Seriously? This woman would jack up prices like no man’s business when i wasn’t sober and sometimes when i was. she was nice, but i feel like my wallet will thank me