Overseen: Stop Pushing Butler’s Buttons, You Guys

You’ve seen it before, and you’ll see it again: an elusive group of Columbians start to go a liiiiittle bit crazy during finals season. At this point, we’re pretty sure everyone’s just trying to comply with tradition. In any case, it makes for some quality overseens. The latest chapter, for your procrastinating pleasure:

Because nothing says, "Hey, this sign is super official and you better follow its instructions!!!" like chicken scratch on printer paper. Nothing.

@Anonymous Sometimes I press the button (here, at Lerner, elsewhere) because there’s a big group of people behind me and thought it would be nice to keep it open for them. Sorry.

1. Ummmm says:

@Ummmm I’m pretty sure the button says “Push to open”

@Anonymous Or maybe because I’m carrying a lot of things? Not clear on why people are upset about button pushing.

@Anonymous Those electronic buttons aren’t even required for ADA compliance. The minimum requirement is a door handle that is easily grippable. So treat it as a luxury to be enjoyed by all.

1. I says:

@I wish Gmail was ADA compliant :(

• troll says:

@troll What about the mentally disabled? Us Barnard girls have rights two!

@Anonymous I don’t understand, does pushing the button if you’re not disabled have some negative effect? I push it all the time when I’m too lazy to push the door open.

1. cuz it wastes energy says:

@cuz it wastes energy it’s like using an elevator to go the 3rd floor. you can do it, but for most of us, there’s no need.

that’s only why i don’t do it. i don’t think anyone has the right to tell others not to push it if it’s there. i’m just telling you fyi since you asked

• guy with cool car says:

@guy with cool car Sure. Next thing is I won’t be allowed to use their parking spaces either.

• ... says:

@... this is actually a really serious issue. i once saw someone in a wheelchair push the button at butler and the door refused to open because all the opens had been used up by careless kids and their inconsiderate button pushing ways.

1. Campus Circuitry says:

@Campus Circuitry Pretty sure electricity doesn’t function based on a button-push quota.

@Anonymous I think it just lets the f-f-freezing air in

Where are you going this summer?

Don’t act dumb. A responsible victim would go to the police, not the halls of academia, if there were a (read more)
    Barnard Fires Executive Director of Public Safety, Not Involved Officers, Following Milstein Center Assault
    August 18, 2019
    Most crimes on campus are students sexually assaulting other students. Y'all just don't get Clery Alerts about that so you (read more)
    August 17, 2019