Christopher Coles Heads To Rehab

After serving a short jail stint for failing a drug test, Christopher Coles pleaded guilty Tuesday to selling marijuana to an undercover police officer. He will now begin the rehabilitation program originally offered to him in early November. According to the AP, Manhattan state Supreme Court Justice Ellen Coin warned Coles, “Most of the people you are going to encounter there [in rehab] are not going to be college kids. This is not a fraternity.”

If Coles—who, unlike his fellow Operation Ivy League defendants, was actually not part of a Columbia fraternity when arrested last year—makes it through the year-long program, he’ll be allowed to withdraw his guilty plea and the case will be dismissed.

• Judge Dredd says:

@Judge Dredd “Mr. Coles, let me tell you – this will not be anything like the IRC. It would more aptly be described as similar to attending a sustained meeting of the Korea Campus Crusade for Christ.”

1. also known as says:

@also known as the KKKK

@Anonymous He failed a drug test in rehab. He is lucky he has a good lawyer.

@Anonymous I am tempted to believe that he failed the drug test on purpose, to demonstrate that he actually has a drug problem and would benefit from rehab. Regardless, he isn’t an addict.

2. Luck says:

@Luck is not the wellspring of good lawyers.

• Charlie says:

@Charlie Oh the rehab option, I would have gone with that if I was his attorney. Although really, I specialize in Bird Law so…

@Anonymous i love you

• Weed ruins lives says:

@Weed ruins lives Er, I mean judges. Judges and the drug war ruin lives.

@Anonymous Why judges? In this case, the judge wasn’t acting in a way that’s ruining his life. In fact it’s the opposite. This is the way drugs should be fought, by sending people to rehab.

Maybe, take a step out of your comfort zone if you want to fight a political battle like this.

@Anonymous Uh, Operation Ivy League was a publicity stunt that destroyed lives. You’ll forgive me if I don’t go ahead and exhaustively list every reason why in a blog comment. As per Christopher Coles at the time, now exiled from the school he deserved to attend; “this whole thing has been exaggerated. It’s been blown up to the umpteenth.”

Take a step out of my comfort zone? You sound self-righteous but what you said doesn’t mean anything.

@Anonymous They tried to make me go to rehab, I said, “No, no, no”

1. DAMN IT says:

@DAMN IT you beat me to it

@Anonymous “overdose, overdose, overdose”

@Anonymous Wait til he’s 27.

1. Mr. Sensitive says:

@Mr. Sensitive Too soon.

1. For Her Pleasure says:

@For Her Pleasure He has to first go through the withdrawal process.

• should've called says:

@should've called barry. he’s really good!

1. shoulda says:

@shoulda called saul

1. Awesome says:

@Awesome Breaking Bad reference. you’re the man/woman.

@Anonymous I’ve been reading Bob Loblaw’s Las Blog.

@Anonymous If you tested every Columbia kid for illegal drugs, including study drugs, around 50% would test positive. So why does bwog continue to cover operation ivy league’s exploits? This isn’t US Weekly. Let these people move on in peace and stop using them as objects for stories. Be a real news source, not gossip. Your coverage is now based on salaciousness, rather than seeking out real news, i.e. manhattanville or president bollinger’s questionable financial relationships. Your (former) classmates should not suffer anymore, and your continuing coverage of negative press shows no respect for your peers. It could have been you or one of your friends. Karma wise, this publication is doomed without real reform, and quickly.

@Anonymous Actually, some of us care a lot about this for various reasons, and it would be a gross oversight if Bwog DIDN’T include it. Nothing about this post was salacious, either. It’s rather succinct.

• Van Owen says:

@Van Owen I feel so high,
    I even touch the sky
    Above the fallin’ rain!
    I feel so good in my neighborhood,
    So: here I come again!

I’ve got to have kaya now (kaya, kaya),
    Got to have kaya now (kaya, kaya)
    I’ve got to have kaya now (kaya, kaya),
    For the rain is fallin’!