Copy Edit

Core Stars Shine

It seems like just yesterday that Bwog was announcing the launch of the Core Scholars program, in which overachievers like us submit creative works inspired by Core texts to win fame and glory. Well, as some core author might have said, time flies when you’re having fun. Ladies and gentlemen, your winners:

2012 CORE SCHOLARS
Anneke Solomon, Columbia College, Class of 2015 – “Departure-in Four Parts”, essay
Gabriela Pelsinger, Columbia College, Class of 2015 – “Ode to Eve”, spoken word poetry
Marian Guerra, Columbia College, Class of 2014 – “The Ecstasy of Sonya”, painting
Rowan Hisayo Buchanan, Columbia College, Class of 2012 – “Triptych for Ovid”, triptych

2012 HONORABLE MENTIONS
Lesley Thulin, Columbia College, Class of 2014 – “In Flux”, sculpture
Raphael Peterson, General Studies, Class of 2012 – “Ascent”, original composition

They’ll be honored by Deantini at a reception next week. A few samples after the jump.

crime and punishment

Marian Guerra’s “The Ecstasy of Sonya” inspired by Crime and Punishment

stone sculpture

Lesley Thulin’s “In Flux” inspired by Ovid’s Metamorphoses

Gabriela Pelsinger’s “Ode to Eve” inspired by the Book of Genesis.

• isn't Anneke says:

@isn't Anneke CC ’12?

• Admirer says:

@Admirer This Pelsinger chick is kind of amazing, isn’t she?

1. maybe it's because says:

@maybe it's because idk much about spoken word, but watching her delivery reminded me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML99I1c-iwA

although her content was much, much better. Congratulations, Gabriela! You made me wish I had gone to the Vagina Monologues.

2. I thought says:

@I thought her voice was kinda annoying.

@Anonymous would pipe nonetheless.

• strugglin says:

@strugglin I think it’s really funny that CC’13 was like “…wait…I’m sorry…you want me to do extra work?… and I’m in my junior year?………….. BBAAAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHhaahhaaha..ha *sobs quietly*”

• this stuff is says:

@this stuff is badass. I’m glad the college has decided to recognize our students’ creativity.

• a vagina says:

@a vagina Congrats Gabriela!!! you completely deserve it!

• huh? says:

@huh? why would someone in GS get an honorable mention, they don’t even take the core

@Anonymous GS students have to apply to CC competitions because no one at Columbia cares enough to endow a “GS scholars” program (much less full-need aid).

@Anonymous It’s a Core Scholars Program.

There are modifications (some GS-Related, some probably money/resource-related), but GS students can still elect to tale Lit Hum, Art Hum etc

3. Please says:

@Please educate yourself, ignorant GS?Barnard hating neckbeard troll.

4. GS says:

@GS GS has a “Core” of its own. It’s not exactly the same as CC’s, but it pretty similar.

@Anonymous GS students have a “Core.” Granted, it’s not exactly like the CC Core, but it’s pretty close. A little research can go a long way.

6. In a word says:

@In a word Wrong.

In several words, the GS core varies a touch from the CC core, but we still have to take Art Hum, Music Hum, Global Core, a language, etc. Lit Hum and CC aren’t required because they can’t find enough people to teach the extra sections, apparently. Hurray for a lack of funding!

7. Please says:

@Please educate yourself, GS/Barnard hating neckbeard troll.

8. Fairly certain says:

@Fairly certain the sudden influx of comments with links, several of which use the same one, is due to Bwog’s delay of comments including links.

@Anonymous has anyone ever fucked in the stacks in actuality? what time and floor is best to fuck in the stacks? when do the stacks close?

@Anonymous this is a serious question – please, for the sake of my cock (and potential progeny), inform me as to when the stacks close. thanks.

2. Do it late at night says:

@Do it late at night Soon before the stacks close. Would recommend either a high or low floor, far from the elevators/stairs but not in a corner (in case someone comes by; awkward to have to walk past them–trust me on that)

@Anonymous I’ve found that the 10th floor is the best.

• BS says:

@BS The Ode to Eve shit is just a radical feminist tirade against old Christian men – it has nothing to do with the Core Curriculum

@Anonymous is this a joke? the core = old Christian men

I say this not as a core hater but somehow who is the slightest bit aware of what’s actually in it…

@Anonymous *someone
        (damn it)

• CC'13 against bigotry says:

@CC'13 against bigotry CC Trolls, don’t make this Bwog post into another bigoted thread about Barnard or GS. Raphael Petersen, GS ’12, deserves just as much recognition for his work as a CC student. Most, if not all, of the Core Scholars committee consists of professors with advanced degrees. They are the ones who set the qualifications for entering the competition. Not you.

• Anneke says:

@Anneke I wrote a poem not an essay.
    Not a problem; just thought I’d correct it.