WordPress database error: [Got error 28 from storage engine]
SELECT t.*, tt.*, tr.object_id FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON t.term_id = tt.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category', 'post_tag', 'post_format') AND tr.object_id IN (94852) ORDER BY t.name ASC

Bwog » PeopleHop: A Star Among Us

WordPress database error: [Got error 28 from storage engine]
SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy AS tt ON t.term_id = tt.term_id INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (94852) ORDER BY t.name ASC

PeopleHop: A Star Among Us

This is different from Glee

Last year Ben Platt, CC ’16, landed a major role in the college a cappella comedy Pitch Perfect, which is set to release in early October. Now he’s settling into the college community and singing in Columbia’s Nonsequitur group. Bwog’s Film Fanatic, Alison Herman, caught up with the budding celebrity…

Bwog: When did you start singing professionally?

Ben: When I was nine years old. I went to a kid’s theater program and one of the casting directors from the Hollywood Bowl—which is a big theater in LA—came and said, “Do any of you guys want to audition for something at the Hollywood Bowl? We need little kids.” I ended up getting it.

Bwog: How did you get to be in the movie?

Ben: I didn’t really know much about it; I just heard that it was a project about the world of college a cappella, and I figured that was right up my alley, so I went in and had to sing a couple bars of Adele and read a scene. After two or three weeks, I got the part. It was the week before I was supposed to come to school last year.

Bwog: What’s your role and where’d you shoot?

Ben: We shot in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, which is not the most exciting town, but it’s pretty cool—and there’s LSU, so we tailgated a bunch. My role is a guy named Benji, which is nice that I have the same name, and he’s the roommate of the main guy. He’s kind of a nerd, a little bit weird, and doesn’t really fit in, but is in love with a cappella. He auditions for the group, and they don’t let him in because of how weird he is, so he follows them around and tries to get in with the group.

Bwog: What was it like being in a movie?

Ben: In theater you go in and have the whole experience of the character each night as a whole. You can look back on your performance and know exactly what you’ve done. In a film, it’s three months of pieces that come together and become a performance, and it’s scarier because you don’t know exactly what it gets edited into. You have a little less control over it.

Bwog: Was it weird that you were in a movie about a cappella before you were in an actual a cappella group?

Ben: It is weird. The whole initiation thing I went through we acted out in the movie. I can’t wait to see the movie with my real a cappella group, ’cause that’ll be super meta.

Bwog: What’s your favorite/least favorite song to sing?

Ben: My favorite song is probably “Feeling Good,” the Michael Buble arrangement. And my least favorite song… I’m really sick of “Someone Like You,” the Adele song.

[Interview edited for brevity]

Friendly faces via Wikimedia Commons

• nice job says:

@nice job well shit this kid went to my high school! Harvard-Westlake pride.

Congrats Ben!

@Anonymous ANOTHER Harvard Westlake kid? oh no……

• Hey. says:

@Hey. I’m sick of Adele, too. Welcome to Columbia.

@Anonymous this is cool and all and congrats but Bwog, why bother formatting something as an interview when the questions are boring/obvious as fuck? you could have taken twenty minutes to write a feature and inserted some quotes.

@Anonymous probs cuz that would be writing, and thereore harder

@Anonymous Bwog… never up to the challenge

@Anonymous Ben is playing Claude in CMTS’ production of HAIR too!

• BEN ANSWER ME says:

@BEN ANSWER ME IS ADAM DEVINE AS FUCKING AWESOME IN PERSON AS HE IS ON TV?

thanks man and congrats on the role!

• hey, Bwog... says:

@hey, Bwog... …it’s Nonsequitur. one word. just one capital.

just saying…

• Wrong picture says:

@Wrong picture Why is a picture of a UChicago a cappella group used here?
    (http://acappella.uchicago.edu/groups/images/viyh.jpg)

@Anonymous I was inside of him
    – Luscious Lenny

@Anonymous Cool story, bro.

Did you happen to find my watch?