A resident on the second floor of Broadway left a window open—yes, for all of break—which reportedly caused a pipe to burst, which caused a big spill. Public Safety confirmed that they are in there, trying to clean things up. The pipe burst an hour ago, btw.
We hope your room won’t be flooded if you live on the second floor of Broadway! Send us pictures or more information if you’re on campus to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Update (5:30 pm): Daniel Sims ventured into the building and came up with these pictures, which show a significant amount of water in a Broadway seminar room and a peeling wall from the damage.
Also, it appears that the second floor is not used for housing, so Columbia only has to worry about the three piano practice rooms close by and potentially relocating sections of Lit Hum from the floor—but who left the window open then?
Update (Jan 6 at 2:30 pm): Bwog received this statement from Dan Held, Executive Director of Communications for Columbia Facilities. Emphasis is ours.
A pipe burst in the Broadway Seminar room on the second floor on Friday night causing the Fire Alarm to go off. Flooding occurred in that room and some water went into the office below. Some electrical panels also got wet. No student rooms were affected. The elevators were out for about an hour until the Fire Alarm was reset. All was cleaned up quickly. There are still some limited electrical outages until the electrical panel dries completely. Our mechanics are checking out the electrical panels and working on getting all electricity back.