Barnard seniors just made their housing selections yesterday, but we still have a lot of Barnard students waiting to make their selection. Today, we bring you the review of Hewitt, AKA the building that reminds you that you will never be able to escape The Quad.
Location: The Quad (3009 Broadway)
- Nearby dorms: 600, 616, 620, Sulzberger Tower, Brooks, Sulz, Reed
- Stores and restaurants: Morton Williams, Vine, Hewitt Dining Hall, Starbucks, Joe’s
- $10,400 for a single (same as all Barnard dorms)
- $8,960 for a double or triple (same as all Barnard dorms)
- Bathrooms: Each floor has a gender-inclusive shared bathroom with five bathroom stalls and showers. Like the rest of the Quad, facilities cleans the bathrooms daily. Some people have noted the bathrooms in the first year halls to be better and worth the walk.
- AC/Heating: No AC, so be careful if you’re choosing a high floor and don’t want to sweat to death the first month of the fall semester. Heat is typically a comfortable temperature and controllable.
- Kitchen/Lounge: Shared with the rest of the first-year halls, each floor in the quad has a spacious lounge with a TV, couches, dining table, and a kitchenette. Ovens and microwaves are located on every floor. Lounges can often be busy and are probably not conducive to someone looking to cook most of their meals. Brooks Lounge is also easily accessible in the building, which is an excellent quiet study room for all-nighters before finals.
- Laundry: There is a set of washing machine and dryer on each floor of Brooks. There are several more per floor of Sulzberger, with the most being on the eighth floor, where they are also shared with Sulzberger Tower residents.
- Gym: No gym in The Quad, but the Barnard weight room is a quick walk from Hewitt in Barnard Hall.
- Intra-transportation: Accessible via elevators located in Sulzberger or Brooks, as well as the several sets of stairs throughout the Quad. Second floor, however, is only accessible by the staircase through Brooks, just past Furman. Also, those stairs right by the entrance of Brooks will take you to Hewitt.
- Wi-Fi: Yes. Gotta love that Barnard Secure wifi.
- Hardwood/carpet: Linoleum.
- Almost all of the rooms are singles, with the (very) odd converted double or triple on the 2nd or 8th floor
- Most rooms 16′ x 8′. Fairly spacious singles compared to other corridor options (see: Elliot Hall.)
- Hewitt will most likely be filled by a majority of sophomores with a few juniors looking for a guaranteed single room.
- Most of the students that ended up on the Guaranteed Housing List after housing ran out last year ended up getting a Hewitt single if they opted for one.
- Hewitt is a fantastic option for students looking to live close to campus and not have to make a trek just to get to class.
- If you choose to live in Hewitt, it might be wise to see if you have any other friends also living in the dorm. We’ve heard that Hewitt can feel a bit isolating at times, but it’s a perfect option for a small group of friends looking for all singles.
- People choosing into Hewitt should also be willing to revert back to that first-year lifestyle of relying on the dining halls for most of your meals. All Hewitt residents must purchase the Quad Upperclass Meal Plan.
- “Hewitt is amazing! I really enjoyed having a single. The location of the quad is great, as well.”
- “Beware that the walls are extremely thin! You may or may not become very familiar with your neighbors’ personal matters.”
- “Hewitt recently painted the hallways to a nice cream color. Far more pleasant than the print pink all of the floors used to be.”
- “It’s not hard to get a block of rooms with some friends if you’re not too interested in a suite, or if you just want to live close to campus.”
- “Hewitt rooms are spacious, but you get the most room in regards to the length as opposed to the width. Imagine the room you had as a first year in a Brooks Quad, but not having to share it with another person.”
- “The lounges on the floors in The Quad can get really busy, so don’t always rely on them as a go-to space to hang out and cook all the time.”
- “Some of the Hewitt rooms coming with great views. If you pick the corner rooms, you get TWO windows with a view of over Claremont towards the river. Definitely a good idea for anyone who doesn’t want to be facing the inside of The Quad.”
- “Hewitt is a safe bet for housing for most students, regardless of year. You’re going to get a single room (if that is important to you) and you’ll be close to campus just like you were first year.”