It’s that time of the year again:
spring everlasting winter! And that can mean only one thing—the annual installment of Bwog’s housing reviews. And now we bring you Hogan.
Location: 566 W. 114th St. (entrance on Broadway)
- Nearby dorms: Broadway, Carman, Ruggles, all them brownstones, and it’s not too far from McBain and Watt.
- Shops and stores: Very close to pretty much everything because it is right on Broadway. Milano, Dig Inn, International, ect.
Cost: $9,470/year (same as EC, Ruggles, Watt, Woodbridge)
- Bathrooms: One normal-sized bathroom per suite. Cleaned weekly by staff.
- AC/ Heating: No AC, but some rooms have two windows for an extra breeze.
- Kitchen/ Lounge: Large kitchen in every suite–dishwasher and all–that comes with lots of storage space (plenty of cabinets but too few drawers). Each suite has a large lounge as well. Only some lounges have closets, but all bedroom hallways have closets.
- Laundry: Seventh floor laundry room.
- Computers/ Printers: Computer lab on third floor, shared with Broadway.
- Intra-transportation: Single elevator is often commandeered by maintenance staff, but there are only 7 floors so you’ll be fine on the stairs.
- Hardwood/ Carpet: No carpet in rooms.
- Wi-Fi: Yes.
- Four- , five-, or six-person suites with singles that range from kinda big (~116 ft) to palace-sized (~149 ft). There are no doubles in Hogan. We repeat: no doubles.
- Each suite comes with one kitchen, one bathroom, and a spacious lounge.
- Some rooms have two windows, but if you face Broadway, be prepared for noise.
- All suites were renovated between 2010 and 2011, so they are swagged out.
- This dorm is seniors only. You’ll need under ~1300 for a shot at this.
- We assume you’re an all-senior group. Groups of four have the most options: if you can’t get EC townhouses, this (and Ruggles) will likely be your fallback; some will prefer Hogan for its spaciousness and proximity to Broadway. If you are in a five-person group, see what’s available on your day of Suite Selection. Good EC Highrises should be your fallback, and of course, Senior Regroup is always an option.
- “It’s nice having suite-style living with friends but being all in singles.”
- “I didn’t like the aesthetics of EC, the distance and coldness. It’s like a prison! Hogan is way warmer.”
- “I just, like, so love it.”
- “I love the wood floors and high ceilings.”
- “Lack of heating control makes it really hot and uncomfortable sometimes.”
- “Every time we play our music loud, the RA comes. So it’s not conducive to partying, though we hear parties on other floors so…”
- “The laundry room is kinda small.”