Senior Wisdom: Ariella Hohl

Surely not even Trump can kick someone this gorgeous out of the US?

Surely not even Trump can kick someone this gorgeous out of the US?

What’s cooler than being cool? Being a multi-cultural badass with a thing for parties and politics. Ariella dishes some dope advice and interesting personal tidbits in the process. Read on!

Name, School, Major, Hometown: Ariella G. Hohl, GS, Middle Eastern Studies, São Paulo, Brazil

Claim to fame: The girl who left campus one summer as a member of the Jewish Orthodox community and co-chair J Street CU and did a 180 – moved to a refugee camp in Palestine and Jordan for 10 months and then came back a member of SJP. On a less a political note -I also helped reestablish the Brazilian Student Society and threw some mean parties during my spare time.

Where are you going? I am both Arab and Latina – do I even have a chance to stay in the US under Trump at this point? Wish me luck (and a visa)!

What are 3 things you learned at Columbia and would like to share with the Class of 2020?

1. Your voice matters. We might get caught up in the wave of op-eds and protests that are constantly going on in our school, but this campus and our students have an enormous impact that goes beyond just that. We have shaped the national discourse on issues that range from climate justice, gender norms, sexual assault and incarceration. I have had the chance to see all of this unfold in less than 4 years and if you chose to do so, you can take part in change as well.

2. This goes out to all the incoming international students – moving to the US and New York can be tougher that you expect, both culturally and logistically. But if you come across the right group of friends you will find ways to build your own family here and that’s what will get you through the next 4 years. Find the people that really matter to you and invest time in them.

3. Live off campus. Or work off campus. Just make sure you find constant opportunities to get out of the Boringside Heights bubble and engage with the city.

“Back in my day…” Havana Central, Deluxe, and Ollie’s (RIP) were a thing

Justify your existence in 30 words or fewer: Let’s have a chill night (comes back at 2 pm the next day after 3 after parties)

What was your favorite class at Columbia? “History of the Modern Middle East” with Professor Rashid Khalidi. It changed my life.

Would you rather give up oral sex or cheese? I am Swiss and Brazilian, I feel like choosing over one or the other means renouncing one of my identities.

One thing to do before graduating: Make a list of the people that made a mark on me the past four years and give them each a big hug and a thank you for getting me through life at CU.

Any regrets? I think deep down my parents were truly investing in my potential of finding a husband at the Law School by sending me off to college in America. Sorry to disappoint you guys =/

Photo via Ariella Hohl

• JVP tho says:

@JVP tho I would love to know why she could no longer identify as a Jew after identifying as anti-Zionist.

• Lol remember that one sentence I said after that one lecture says:

@Lol remember that one sentence I said after that one lecture Queen of my heart Ariella I love you marry me (lol jk need a US visa) but still I love you

• Marina engelhart says:

@Marina engelhart PARABENS ARI!!!!! Sucesso sempre!

@Anonymous which identity are we on now? #3? #4? I wish i could change my entire personal and personal story just like I change shirts.

• Make up your mind says:

@Make up your mind Arab and Latina? Oh no wait Swiss and Brazilian? Whichever suits you best for the moment you’re in, right? I wonder which identity you’ll pick up next.

1. Lol says:

@Lol Wow, multiculturalism?? People can have more than one identity, idiot.

2. why does it matter how many says:

@why does it matter how many ALL IDENTITY IS CONSTRUCTED FUCKERS

1. 🙄 says:

@🙄 So why can’t she be Arab, Latina, Brazilian, Swiss, anti-Zionist, and Jewish………….,,

1. Omg leave her alone says:

@Omg leave her alone She lol she just doesn’t want to maybe let her live her life and take care of our own jeez

3. Ed the Latino says:

@Ed the Latino Uh someone doesn’t know Latina is an umbrella term that covers many nationalities, including Brazilians (I didn’t identify as Latino before I moved out of Brazil but now I do, mostly thanks to this level of idiocy).