Columbia Updates Gender-Based Misconduct Policy To Explicitly Support Trans Students

Earlier tonight, Columbia updated its Gender-based Misconduct Policy to include “threats or non-consensual disclosure of a person’s gender identity or that a person is transgender or non-binary”. In other words, outing a student as trans or gender non-conforming, or otherwise harassing a student for their gender identity or expression, is now recognized as a form of gender-based misconduct and can be punishable as such. This policy change is a significant victory for the safety and security of trans and nonbinary students at Columbia.

The change is also a victory for No Red Tape, as it was one of the demands made in the group’s Title IX demand letter last March. In a recent statement on Facebook, NRT thanked one hundred on- and off-campus groups who helped draft and sign the demand letter for their support.

Screenshot of the updated policy

• Better scenario: says:

@Better scenario: Carol is hitting on my very drunk friend at a party. He’s borderline with respect to consent, but I know that he is not interested in trans women. He’s about to leave with Carol, and I tell him, hey, you know Carol’s trans right?

BOOM!!! EXPELLED!

All because I warned my friend about a chick with a dick?

Fucked up.

@Anonymous Transphobia isn’t bystander intervention. And if demonstrating your complete lack of knowledge about what being trans means is the best thing you can think of in a potential sexual assault situation, Columbia seriously owes you your tuition dollars back.

1. Out of curiosity says:

@Out of curiosity What’s the ROI on that Gender Studies degree *your* tuition dollars bought you?

@Anonymous Not majoring in Gender Studies. Thanks for asking, though!

• Outing? says:

@Outing? Are you fucking kidding me?

Scenario:

Suppose my friend Carol and I are hanging out at Mel’s, and she tells me she’s trans. I have no idea she’s not out. In a discussion on trans issues with another friend, Sam, I casually mention that I have a friend, Carol, who happens to be trans … yadda yadda yadda … Now I’M IN TROUBLE??

Bullshit rule. Sorry, but if you don’t want people to know something, don’t tell anyone. That’s what I live by — Don’t tell anyone anything you don’t want anyone else to know. Once it’s out, it’s out. Why the fuck am I responsible for YOUR secret.

Personal responsibility everyone — ever hear of it?

1. Missed the mark there. says:

@Missed the mark there. You could ask your friend Carol if she’s out; as your friend, if she’s comfortable enough to tell you she’s trans, she’ll be comfortable enough to tell you if she wants that to be public. You could also just say you have a trans friend. You don’t have to use Carol’s name. I don’t get your point.

@Anonymous This is why deplorables fear Obamacare is all about sexuality, abortion, euthanasia and mind control

@Anonymous Relevance?

@Anonymous For all the shit NRT gets from everyone, this is pretty cool.

Racial justice would be to accept more Whites and Gentiles. They are the ones most discriminated against. (read more)
    Barnard Outlines Specific Plans To Work Toward Racial Equity
    August 14, 2020
    Awful. Now they are "workers" instead of academicians. The University should demand that they speak English and have a (read more)
    University Ratifies Columbia Postdoctoral Workers’ (CPW-UAW) Tentative Agreement
    August 14, 2020
    um go off i guess but nursing home patients were absolutely not the majority of the 100s of people that (read more)
    Everything We Know About Columbia’s Reopening Plan (As Of 7/28/2020)
    August 13, 2020
    I wonder how banning WeChat will affect international student cheating rings. (read more)
    Barnard’s Launch Week Displayed New Curricular Plans