Impress that date of yours with your dorm room delicacies–Grapefruit Brûlée makes a quick and easy breakfast (or a midnight snack). You only need three ingredients, all available at John Jay and Ferris!
Disclaimer: Make sure you grab your ingredients with a meal swipe—CU Dining offers take-out boxes for you to bring back to your dorm.
Ingredients (for one serving! Just double if you really do have that date… or share one grapefruit between the two of you… how intimate.)
- One large grapefruit
- Approx. a quarter-of-a-John-Jay-coffee-cup full of brown sugar
- A few decent shakes of cinnamon
- (optional: if you have nutmeg and ginger at your dorm, throw those in the mix!)
- Set the oven to broil.
- Cut your grapefruit in half across the middle (not from top to bottom!).
- Mix some cinnamon and brown sugar together until it makes a pleasing ratio; this can be subject to individual taste.
- Pat a decent amount onto the open face of each grapefruit half. There should be a solid layer of your brown sugar/cinnamon combo.
- Broil your two grapefruit halves until they’re a buttery golden-brown (approx. 3 minutes, but this depends on your oven!).
- Enjoy the hell out of your Michelin-star-worthy treat. Impress the hell out of that date of yours. You’ve got this, champ!
~photo via Bwoggie