Can’t get enough of the quad? Try Hewitt!
Location: Barnard Quad (3009 Broadway)
Nearby Dorms: Brooks, Reid, Sulz, Sulz Tower, the 600s
Stores and Restaurants: Morton Williams, Shake Shack, Ivy League Stationers, sweetgreen, Starbucks, Lululemon, everything you could ever need on Broadway
Cost: $5,413 per semester
- Bathrooms: One gender-inclusive or all Women bathroom per floor, but you can also use bathrooms on other floors/down the hall in other quad connected buildings. The showers in Hewitt are notorious for having extremely weak or extremely strong water pressure and fluctuating temperatures so be sure to try out a few before resigning yourself to a bad shower for a whole year. Some rooms also have a semi-private bathroom just for those residents!
- AC/Heating: No AC, but there is heat!
- Kitchen/Lounge: Each floor shares a lounge with the entire quad in the Sulz building section. The lounges were recently refurnished and there is an oven, sink, microwave, and stovetop along with cabinets to store your kitchen tools in (but we would recommend keeping them in your own room).
- Laundry: Laundry is right next to the lounge on each floor.
- Gym: The Barnard gym is located in the basement of Barnard Hall right next door!
- Hardwood/Carpet: The rooms have linoleum and the hallways are carpeted.
- Wifi: Barnard Secure!
- The 8th floor traditionally houses first-years in triples and doubles and the majority of the building are relatively spacious singles
- Mostly sophomores and juniors with some seniors mixed in. You have a good chance of getting a Hewitt single if you’re a sophomore or above, so don’t worry!
- If you want a guaranteed single in a convenient location, then this is the perfect dorm for you. As a first-year going through housing selection, I heard so many rumors about how awful and undesirable Hewitt was. After living in 110 for one semester and then switching into Hewitt, I realized how amazing it was to have my own space!
- If having a single is important to you, then definitely go for Hewitt. If you’re worried about being away from your friends, then you can all pick into rooms on the same floor that are next to one another!
- The only downsides are the communal bathrooms, the noise level, and the meal plan. Being on the quad meal plan is definitely a major consideration.
- “You don’t realize how great it is to have a single until you have one.”
- “I could never go back to living in a double again.”
- “I hate having to pay for the quad meal plan, but other than that, I love Hewitt!”
- “The views are amazing!”
Hewitt Single via the Bwarchives
Empty Hewitt Single via Barnard ResLife
Hewitt Facade (Featured Image) via Bwarchives