Harmony Hall: it’s giving. Unless you like AC. Or social interaction. Or being on time to class.
Location: 544 W 110th St.
- Nearby dorms: Carlton Arms and Barnard’s 110.
- Stores and restaurants: Westside Market, H-Mart, Absolute Bagels, CVS, Duane Reade, Koronet, Chipotle, Dunkin, Hungarian Pastry Shop, 1020, and Five Guys. Wow!
- Cost: The 2023-2024 housing rate for upperclassmen is projected to be $11,574/year.
- Bathrooms: Two communal bathrooms divided by gender per floor. Floors five and six also have gender-neutral and handicap-accessible bathrooms.
- AC/Heating: No AC in the rooms (it gets hot as balls in the warmer months and pretty stuffy during the winter). The only place in the building with AC is the gym, and you won’t want to just hang out in there. It’s kind of scary.
- Kitchen: There is a communal kitchen/lounge on every floor with cabinet space, an electric stove, oven, sink, and full-sized fridge. The lounge area has a table and chairs. There is also a quaint building lounge on the first floor with a couch, vending machine (which does not take coins or flex), and some armchairs.
- Laundry: Four washers and four dryers in the basement laundry room. This doesn’t sound like many, but with so few residents in the building, there’s almost always machines open.
- Computers/Printing: PawPrint station (which is always fucking broken) + desktop set-up in the first-floor lounge.
- Gym: Fitness room available on the second floor, with AC! It has two treadmills and an elliptical for you gym bros.
- Elevators: One, and she is trying her absolute best.
- Flooring: Hardwood in rooms.
- 80 singles of varying square footage (there’s a 79 sq ft on floor eight, and a 171 sq ft on floor four! Crazy!). Most are between 90 to 110 sq ft.
- Seven typically-sized doubles scattered throughout the building.
- There are two six-person suites, one on the mezzanine, one on the first floor. These contain four normal-sized singles and one average double.
- Harmony is a small dorm overall, with very few people living on each floor.
- Data from 2021 room selection shows that this building was made up of 84% juniors, 9% sophomores, and 7% seniors.
Harmony is a little far from campus (at least compared to other dorms), but boasts a convenient location near many of the favorite stores and restaurants amongst students. The singles can be quite spacious (but can also be quite cramped!), and the lack of AC is… well, yeah. It’s not the most social of dorms due to the small size of each floor. If you lived in Furnald freshman or sophomore year and enjoyed it, or just like a quiet, private living space, definitely check out Harmony Hall.
Images via Bwog Staff and Bwarchives