Ready or not, it’s almost Summer Break, so Cooking with Bwog 2.0 is prepared with a warm-weather favorite. This week our Culinary Club partners offer a delicious recipe for fish tacos. Cook them in your suite this week then eat them outside somewhere.
Beer-Battered Fish Tacos (Makes 8 tacos, Time: 45 minutes)
4 tilapia fillets, halved lengthwise and patted dry – (You can also use other fish options—just make sure you buy a firm, white fish)
1 C dark beer
¾ C flour
Salt and Pepper
2 tsp. paprika
Oil for frying
Fresh vegetables for topping (bought from the Farmer’s Market)
Cilantro from the Farmer’s Market
Salsa and Sour Cream
1. Mix flour, salt, pepper, and paprika in a shallow bowl. Add beer and mix to combine.
2. Dunk each tilapia half in the beer batter, coating evenly. Set each battered fillet aside on a baking sheet.
3. Heat oil in a skillet until it is shimmering. Carefully place fillets (two at a time) in the oil and fry until golden brown.
4. Assemble tacos by laying a fillet half on each tortilla and topping with your favorite vegetables and sauces (cilantro, cabbage, onion, tomato, avocado, salsa, sour cream, lime…)
Dessert and more!
Dessert of the Week:
Tres Leches Cake (to go along with the tacos): (Serves 10, Time: overnight to soak)
2 C flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 stick butter, softened
1 C sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 C buttermilk
12-oz can of evaporated milk
14-oz can of condensed milk
1 C half-and-half
2 C heavy cream
.5 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Butter a 9X9 baking pan.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Beat together butter and sugar. Beat in vanilla. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in buttermilk on low. Add flour in three parts.
4. Bake in the pan at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
5. Once the cake cools a bit, poke several holes in the top with a toothpick. Mix together evaporated milk, condensed milk, and half-and-half. Pour atop cake. Set in the fridge overnight.
6. Before serving, whip together cream, sugar, and vanilla until it holds stiff peaks. Put atop cake before serving.
Foodie Event of the Week:
Along with the Union Square Greenmarket, there will be another foodie event in the same location this Sunday (April 25): the NYC Grows Festival. There will be free food from Stonyfield and Organic Valley as well as farming demos and community garden exhibits.