John Coatsworth To Be Interim Provost

John Coatsworth

President Bollinger just sent out an email announcing that John Henry Coatsworth, current Dean of SIPA and owner of the name to end all names, will assume the duties of University Provost starting July 1. With the recent loss of Claude Steele to Stanford, Coatsworth will serve as Interim Provost until PrezBo and “a small advisory group” formally appoint a new Provost. During his time, Coatsworth (with his long list of publications on Wikipedia) will simultaneously serve as Dean of SIPA and University Provost.

And so we wonder: will he be able to satisfy two institutions at the same time?

Dear Colleagues:

I am pleased to announce that John Coatsworth will assume the responsibilities of University Provost on an interim basis effective July 1. Claude Steele will graciously help with the transition, until he leaves in August to take up his new position as Dean of the School of Education at Stanford. John has been an exceptional Dean of the School of International and Public Affairs and will continue in that post. His wide experience at Columbia and elsewhere makes him ideally suited to help with the array of academic and budgetary issues lodged in the Provost’s office.

As many of you know, John is a highly respected expert on Latin American international and economic history. He first came to Columbia in 2006. He previously taught at the University of Chicago from 1969 until 1992, when he joined the Harvard faculty as Monroe Gutman Professor of Latin American Affairs. There he became the founding director of the David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies. His other academic posts have included visiting professorships in Argentina, Mexico, and Spain. He is a former president of the American Historical Association and of the Latin American Studies Association, and a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and the Council on Foreign Relations.

John will continue serving as Dean of SIPA, relying on the wonderful group of faculty and staff he has assembled there to continue leading the School. Soon I will appoint a small advisory group to assist me in the search for the next Provost of the University. Once again, I want to thank Claude Steele for his many contributions and for his friendship with all of us at Columbia.

Sincerely,

Lee C. Bollinger

@Anonymous I think this is pretty awesome. I took a class with him and, besides being generally
    brilliant and an encylopedia on Latin America, he’s just an all-around good guy. Really accesible to students, eager to answer questions, etc. People who don’t know him will soon like him – a lot.

1. He gave me an A says:

@He gave me an A after i gave him a bj. kinda worth it.

@Anonymous There’s precedent for this. Andrew Cordier was simultaneously Dean of SIPA and President of Columbia University from 1968-1970.

• o.O says:

@o.O he looks like don rickles as an academic.

@Anonymous Or like Churchill’s less surly and slightly nerdier cousin.

@Anonymous “SIPA-O Sharkey”

@Anonymous cool story bro

• Alum says:

@Alum “And so we wonder: will he be able to satisfy two institutions at the same time?”

And so I wonder — what makes you think SIPA is a separate institution?

@Anonymous Coatsworth in a worthy coat

• Ad