Senior Wisdom: Matt Martinez

Matt Martinez

Matt Martinez

Tonight’s Senior Wisdom: Matt Martinez, who makes some excellent cheese-related puns (after Bwog’s own heart), and quotes some Winnie the Pooh.

Name, Hometown, School: Matthew Patrick Martinez; Sayville, NY; Columbia College

Claim to fame? Actor in KCST and Latenite Theatre; wrote my thesis on larping; read The Night Before Christmas at the Yule Log Ceremony for two years; former President of CQA; I may be a wizard or Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Where are you going? Mos Eisley Spaceport. (Austin, Texas). Working for Breakthrough Austin!

Three things you learned at Columbia:

• 1. First and foremost you must love yourself.
  • 2. Understanding others begins with loving others.
  • 3. There is nuance in every situation, every issue, every person. Embrace it.

“Back in my day…” JJ’S PLACE HAD BUFFALO CHICKEN WRAPS. MY GOD BRING THOSE BACK PLEASE.

Justify your existence in 30 words or fewer: I do my absolute best to share compassion and love with those around me. I’ll always keep trying.

Write a CU Admirers post to anyone or anything at Columbia: To all the magnificent friends I have met here and to Columbia herself:
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbyes so hard.” – Winnie the Pooh.

Would you rather give up oral sex or cheese? Sorry, there are just so many cheeses in this world that I have yet to try! And what a feta way to explore the world than through food? I’d be so bleu if I couldn’t eat cheese, or worse, I’d turn into a cheese-craving munster for the rest of my life.

One thing to do before graduating: Go to a rooftop. Watch the sunset. Do it senior year towards the end. You’ll feel the magic.

Any regrets? Moments of pain, sadness, yes. But all of those moments helped me learn how incredibly significant this tiny span of time is that each of us has on this planet. More time dwelling on pain is less time you can spend laughing, smiling, and loving. Live your time with those that you care about, with your friends and family, with yourself (love yourself!). Always have warmth in your heart, because you’ll get warmth in return. And if you don’t, then spread your warmth with those who don’t have that same warmth, and maybe you can positively impact someone’s day.

@Anonymous Some practical advice would be nice.

1. protest this says:

@protest this ” JJ’S PLACE HAD BUFFALO CHICKEN WRAPS. MY GOD BRING THOSE BACK PLEASE.” one cannot understate this point; this is the wisest of all senior wisdom

@Anonymous Yeah, perhaps that’s being a bit too harsh. From what little I know of him, Matt’s a simply lovely guy.

3. Anonymau5 says:

@Anonymau5 TROLL! IN THE DUNGEON!

@Anonymous I have truly no clue what #3 means.

1. J.T. Ramseur says:

@J.T. Ramseur I can’t speak for Matt, but I interpret it to mean that we shouldn’t be satisfied with black and white answers, even on issues where there are strong opinions. Try to avoid gross generalizations in favor of complicating the arguments, because that’s what produces the most productive conversation and leads to greater insight and mutual understanding for all parties involved.

To speak to this wisdom at large: thank you, Matt, for being one of the best friends I have ever known. Some might characterize your words as impractical, but I think your message of compassion is too rarely heard on this campus. We can all benefit from remembering to be a little more positive in our interactions. I’ve been so fortunate to share this campus with you the last four years, and I hope you continue to be a part of my life long after!

• fan of the friar says:

@fan of the friar Matt Martinez is by far one of the kindest and most friendly people on this campus. Not to mention his rapier wit and beautiful body. If you don’t know him, I recommend you use the rest of your time this semester very wisely.

• Douche says:

@Douche Sorry buddy misspelled “Muenster”

But sincere congrats on graduating!

1. Matt Martinez says:

@Matt Martinez Gouda catch!

@Anonymous Austin, Texas. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.

@Anonymous To the people thumbs-downing, this comment looks like a reference to the Mos Eisley cantina/Austin comparison Matt made. Sheesh.

• Beginning Fiction Workshop says:

@Beginning Fiction Workshop I still have the quote you wrote for me, and I’m sure everyone in the class still does.

Matt Martinez is a wonderful person and it was a privilege to get to know you.

• Anon says:

@Anon Matt Martinez is a magnificent human being and I am so lucky to be able to say I know him. Congratulations and good luck with everything, you wonderful man, you.

• Anon says:

@Anon This is a lovely wisdom.

• MATT says:

@MATT IS THE BEST PERSON. My time on campus was greatly improved thanks to you, and I will sorely miss seeing you around next year. :(

@Anonymous @J.T. Ramseur: You should do a senior wisdom J.T.!

• TK says:

@TK Matt is an absolutely wonderful person. I greatly admire his considerateness, his extensive knowledge of movies, and his fantastically quirky sense of humor. HE’S MIGHTY FINE-LOOKING AS WELL.

• Lit & Rev says:

@Lit & Rev He would often contribute something remarkable in Russian Literature class, and it would be followed by a small silence, and then three or four people would sigh and say, “Wow.” A great presence in general.

• njr says:

@njr Matt, it was such a pleasure to meet you (and Emma!) in Lit Hum. I’ve truly loved getting to know you over the past four years – you are one of the nicest, kindest people on this campus. MUCH LOVE

• Christina Kyrillos says:

@Christina Kyrillos Matt, I am so lucky to have joined KCST just in time to do a show with you. You are phenomenal to work with and one of the sweetest people I have ever met. Columbia (and KCST) are going to miss you so much.

• CC'15 says:

@CC'15 i’ve always wanted to know you, i had one convo w/ you once freshman year and you were so kind.
    good luck post-grad!