Named after one of our favorite founding fathers, John Jay is next on our freshpeople housing lineup. While this building is known for its dining halls (John Jay & its greasy younger brother, JJ’s place), there are other qualities that make it a desirable residence hall.
Location: 511 W. 114th Street, New York, NY 10027 (part of the freshman quadrangle)
Nearby dorms: Hartley & Wallach
Stores and restaurants: Hamilton Deli, John Jay (the dining hall), JJ’s Place, Arts and Crafts.
Amenities: Nice piano lounge on the first floor, pajama access to two dining halls, vending machines, health center on the 4th floor
- Bathrooms: shared single-use bathrooms on each floor.
- AC/Heating: there’s heat, no AC
- Kitchen/Lounge: Each floor has a lounge with a counter and a microwave. There’s also a giant whiteboard to remind you of the homework you are probably procrastinating.
- Laundry: There’s laundry in the basement of Hartley, and it’s free!
- Computers/printers: Two paw print stations on your way out the door, which will come in clutch for the assignments you will write the morning before class. There is also a computer lounge in Hartley.
- Intra-transportation: Two slow elevators that stop at the 14th floor, so you will be walking that last flight if you are placed on the 15th floor.
- Hardwood/carpet: depends
- Room variety: Singles are about 100 sqft. with the exception of the giant penthouse suites on the 15th floor. There are also a couple of doubles on each floor.
- John Jay is a treat! You will have your own room, and because the majority of your hall-mates are also living alone, they will be more inclined to interact with each other. Lots of people leave their doors propped open to invite social interactions from others, but will also close it when looking for privacy or silence for concentration. There are elements of community as well as privacy, which is the perfect blend for your first year.
- John Jay is not the place to perfect your enchilada recipe as your only kitchen appliance will be a microwave. Its all good though. John Jay is downstairs, and JJ’s place is open as long as you are awake. As you will be finishing a lot of assignments moments before your 10:10, the Paw Print station at the door will serve you well. The line in front of it at 10:08 will not. If you really can’t eat where you shit (or study where you sleep), Butler is only steps away from your dorm.
- “The health center closes at 6, so if you plan on catching Polio, at least do it in the afternoon”
- “Lots of personal space, it’s nice.”
- “I’m pretty close to my hall-mates, because we don’t have roommates.”
- “People will literally take the elevator down from the fourth floor and ruin any attendance streak you were aspiring to establish”
- “The doors look like hotel doors.”